Rsnapshot dir changed on update from OMV3 to 4

• Hi everybody,

two weeks ago I updated from OMV 3 to 4 without any problems. Since then, rsnapshot uses a different directory in my backup share and thus builds up new snapshots from scratch. I now have one folder with the old snapshots:

Code
    root@NAS:/sharedfolders# ls BackupSnapshots-Share/HT750/Backup-Share/
    daily.0   daily.11  daily.2  daily.5  daily.8    monthly.1  monthly.4  weekly.1   weekly.2  weekly.5  weekly.8
    daily.1   daily.12  daily.3  daily.6  daily.9    monthly.2  monthly.5  weekly.10  weekly.3  weekly.6  weekly.9
    daily.10  daily.13  daily.4  daily.7  monthly.0  monthly.3  weekly.0   weekly.11  weekly.4  weekly.7

And a new one where the snapshots now get created:

Code
    root@NAS:/sharedfolders# ls BackupSnapshots-Share/media/c486d52a-****-****-****-***********/Backup-Share/
    daily.0  daily.1  daily.10  daily.11  daily.2  daily.3  daily.4  daily.5  daily.6  daily.7  daily.8  daily.9

Since I know that rsanpshot uses hardlinks in order to create incremental snapshots, I am afraid to break something if I just copy the folders from the old location to the new one. What is the recommended way to proceed in this case? Or is it even possible to have rsnapshot use the old directory again?

Best,
    Aiakos

• Offizieller Beitrag

Because the new directory has been used for quite a while, I don't have a good suggestion for how to merge them. The path changed due to changes in OMV.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could I just rm the contents of the new directory and cp or mv the contents of the old directory to the new one?

Because they are hardlinks, you should be able to. I would start by copying it (if you can) or moving it (if you have a backup).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Apparently, rsnapshot switched back and is now using the old directory again since one week. o_O
    I cannot remember that there was an update. Can anyone explain this and how to prevent it from happening again?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can anyone explain this and how to prevent it from happening again?

Nope. I haven't changed how the directory is calculated in almost a year. If you don't change anything in the plugin, nothing should change.

• I need to bring the topic up again since the problem happened again. As you can see in the pictures, I have rsnapshot running for a while. After I did some updates at 01.09., rsnapshot changed the directory to the one shown in picture 2. After a recent upgrade (yesterday) it now seems to continue with the original directory (picture 1). I dont remember if the updates that I ran contained anything related to the rsnapshot plugin, but there is clearly a glitch here.

Could you have a look into this, please? Using rsnapshot doesn't make much sense if it keeps switching its directories and therefore braking the "timeline"... :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not sure what changed. I didn't change the plugin in a way that would cause this. Perhaps OMV changed and I haven't seen the effect on my systems using rsnapshot. I would like to change the plugin path creation but that would break everyone's setup. Not sure what to do.

• Today it happened again - it switched back to "Backups" directory in picture 2. This time there were no updates performed and I also did not change anything else on the system. I will disable rsnapshot for now... :/

Is there anything I can do that might give you a hint on what's going on?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there anything I can do that might give you a hint on what's going on?

If you didn't make any changes, then the plugin didn't cause it. It sounds like you may have a stray config file in /var/lib/openmediavault/rsnapshot.d/. What is the output of: grep snapshot_root /var/lib/openmediavault/rsnapshot.d/*

• Hi, since I dont have direct access to that machine it took me a while, but here is the output:

Code
    root@NAS-Eltern:~# ls /var/lib/openmediavault/rsnapshot.d/
    rsnapshot-e97e6ade-e809-48f1-bb9b-9a0bf6c54198.conf

root@NAS-Eltern:~# grep snapshot_root /var/lib/openmediavault/rsnapshot.d/*
    snapshot_root   /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Backups/BackupSnapshotsEltern-Share//Backups/BackupEltern-Share//

//Edit: I do also use the LUKS plugin for the backup HDD and unlock it after restart by entering the passphrase in the OMV UI. Can this have any influence on the path?

This is the content of the config file:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I do also use the LUKS plugin for the backup HDD and unlock it after restart by entering the passphrase in the OMV UI. Can this have any influence on the path?

I don't think so unless it was a different drive. Is the path in the grep command correct?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The path is the one that has been used more often in the past (see pictures above). I don't care which path it is, as long as it's always the same one.

The only things that will re-write that file are installing/updating the plugin and making a change in the plugin. But they should be the same unless something has changed with the filesystem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Okay, I will reanable the plugin and in future I will check the file after any updates I perform and any changes I make in the plugins config...

It would be interesting to see how it changes. While I'm not sure I can do anything to fix it in the plugin, it might be possible.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!