Thin provision ESXi VMDK slower speed

• Noob here.

I have 3 file systems (lets call them RAID, DATA, and SSHD). I no longer need the RAID 1, so I degraded it. I deleted the files on the VMDK and added it back into ESXi but this time as Thin Provisioned. I added the physical disk into OMV (looks like it wrote zero's to it) and ran some comparison tests using SMB. I did the testing on a VM that has access to OMV file systems, here are my results:

-RAID to SSHD, avg 100MB/s
    -SSHD to DAS of VM, 80-200MB/s Wow!
    -RAID to DAS of VM, 100MB/s.

Everything no matter how I transferred data was about 100-300MB/s. BUT the newly created file system is only transferring at about 50MB/s writing to it. Copying files from the new DATA store is acceptable (around 200MB/s)

Q) Is Thin Provision a nono when it comes to OMV and ESXi? I hope not because I would like to start using vSphere Data Protection but the 4TB VMDK is too big to run a backup.
    Note: I read a post about installing LVM plug-in and use iSCSI target but that's Greek to me (again noob).

Thank you for your time,
    -Dave-

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is Thin Provision a nono when it comes to OMV and ESXi?

Thin provisioning has nothing to do with the OS. If you have a small vmdk that can grow as you add data, of course there is going to be a performance penalty. But I have never noticed it and it definitely shouldn't be the huge drop you are seeing. Most of my VMs are thin provisioned.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Do you have any suggestions? The OS that OMV runs on is thick, actually all my drives for OMV are think except for the recently added one. Also, I cannot use Apt-get any longer.

I seen someone recommend the following in a different post but I have no idea what he means by adding a target: install the LVM plugin and use it to create your thin provisioned iscsi targets. Does OMV support thin provisioning

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have any suggestions?

Check out problem #5 here - Solutions to common problems

I seen someone recommend the following in a different post but I have no idea what he means by adding a target: install the LVM plugin and use it to create your thin provisioned iscsi targets. Does OMV support thin provisioning

He is referring to LVM thin provisioning which you are not using.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!