Backup plugin: error: WARNING! Ignoring special 'socket' file

• I made a backup of OpenMediaVault with backup plugin.

But now I get the following errors in email:

Could be possible to fix the backup plugin to avoid socket files, while doing backup?
    Can it cause problem, if these socket files are missing?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

What version of OMV? What version of the backup plugin? What filesystem is the data drive?

Could be possible to fix the backup plugin to avoid socket files, while doing backup?

The plugin doesn't need to be fixed. You could exclude these files with extra options field. I don't have these errors on any of my systems. If you are using OMV 4.x, I recommend using the newer version of the plugin that allows you to use fsarchiver. It is a better option and easier to restore than the rsync method.

Can it cause probl em, if these socket files are missing?

It shouldn't cause any problems. These files are recreated on every startup.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sorry for the multiple posts.
    It seems Tapatalk have some problems with this forum.

Using
    - OpenMediaVault v3.0.99 (Erasmus)
    - OpenMediaVault-Backup plugin v3.11
    - using EXT4 fs everywhere.

You could exclude these files with extra options field.

Extra options field is not the right way to exclude 50+ files...

The plugin doesn't need to be fixed.

The plugin should have option to ignore making backup of socket files...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Extra options field is not the right way to exclude 50+ files...

So, it is ok to add 50 files to the plugin that would be doing the exact same thing as the extra options box that don't seem to cause anyone else problems? The rsync arguments have barely changed since I wrote this plugin and no one has ever had problems with socket files. I also don't want to have every little exclusion in the plugin. That is why I added the extra options box.

And it wouldn't be 50 excludes. You would probably only have to add --no-specials --no-devices to the extra options box. I would add those options to the plugin but years worth of no problems tells me that could introduce other problems.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• So, it is ok to add 50 files to the plugin that would be doing the exact same thing as the extra options box that don't seem to cause anyone else problems? The rsync arguments have barely changed since I wrote this plugin and no one has ever had problems with socket files. I also don't want to have every little exclusion in the plugin. That is why I added the extra options box.
    And it wouldn't be 50 excludes. You would probably only have to add --no-specials --no-devices to the extra options box. I would add those options to the plugin but years worth of no problems tells me that could introduce other problems.

See this:
    https://unix.stackexchange.com…les-during-rsync-transfer

• Offizieller Beitrag

See this:
    unix.stackexchange.com/questio…les-during-rsync-transfer

Did you see that the options recommended in that link as the same ones I recommended adding to the extra options box? And I think I also justified why I am hesitant to add those to the mandatory options in the plugin.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!