rsnapshot improvment suggestion

• Hi,

Thank you for rsnapshot plugin, it works very well. I think there is a possible easy improvement to make on it, about the way it schedules its jobs.

Today, hourly, daily, monthly and yearly cron jobs are executed with schedules set "by hand" by the dev. They are set so that two rsnapshot jobs do not collide with each other, which is not optimal. Instead of this raw duration guess, an easier and more efficient way would be use to use a lock (with the flock command) within /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsnapshot. That way, you could schedule all jobs to the same time (or nearly same time if you want to guarantee order), and flock would ensure jobs are launched immediately after the previous one.

In case you don't know the flock command, there are many tuto on the net for this.

Can it be implemented in the plugin?
    Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can it be implemented in the plugin?

I know how flock works but I still don't see the need. Jobs may run at the same time but they really don't "collide" since they are syncing to different directories (hourly to hourly directories, daily to daily directories, etc). Are you trying to avoid these syncs running at the same time? I've never had a problem with it and I use this plugin everywhere.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It seems my answer got lost. I was saying that I backup several disks (2ssd and 1hdd) to a single backup hdd - which is quite a classical scenario. Unless I'm wrong (or too old style?), I believe that doing several backup operations simultaneously to the same device, espercially a mechanical one, is not good, for performance reason and also for the life time of the disk. Am i right? What do you think of that?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I believe that doing several backup operations simultaneously to the same device, espercially a mechanical one, is not good, for performance reason and also for the life time of the disk. Am i right? What do you think of that?

It would depend on the type of backup. Not really sure how much more wear it puts on the drive since the same amount of data is being written. And remember, rsnapshot is only creating hardlinks for files that have not changed. So, how frequently do you have backups that take longer than a half hour?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!