ZFS plugin - some errors during installation. Should i worry?

• Hi
    Ive installed OMV for backups in company i work for and ive got some errors during ZFS plugin installation. But plugin itself seem to work ok. I had similar errors on my home machine but my old ZFS pool has been imported fine and i had no issues with it so far.

So should i worry about those errors? Heres an installation log (the part with errors)

• Ok, ive tried to make a ZFS pool and it threw an error, something about PATH and not having ZFS module? I tried to uninstall it and install again, manually install headers (which i couldnt do because i couldnt get headers because my gcc version was too old and i couldnt install newer????) and even reinstall OMV4 - none worked. Then i gave up and installed OMV3. Again errors while compiling ZFS (many empty lines like "ERROR >>>>>> "). Reinstallation didnt work either. So i come to conlclusion that OMV is to "dodgy" for production use and probably i will take either pure debian + open zfs or will go even further and install OpenIndiana + Napp IT

• Offizieller Beitrag

i come to conlclusion that OMV is to "dodgy" for production use

Please don't put OMV in the same category as your experience with zfs. OMV doesn't create the zfs packages.

probably i will take either pure debian + open zfs

OMV is pure debian and uses openzfs from the debian repos.

Have you read the long zfs thread? Otherwise, install OMV 4.x and omv-extras. Then enable the omv-extras testing repo and install the latest omv-extras package. This will give you a button in the kernel tab to install the proxmox kernel (which is the Ubuntu 18 kernel re-packaged). It already has the zfs module built-in (no compiling). Since proxmox runs this kernel on a Debian Stretch userland, it is very good and the zfs plugin was updated to work with this kernel. I would remove the standard Debian kernels with the other button in omv-extras before installing zfs though.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Please don't put OMV in the same category as your experience with zfs. OMV doesn't create the zfs packages.

Yes. you're right indeed, my fault. I wanted to say that ZFS on OMV is not for production use.

OMV is pure debian and uses openzfs from the debian repos.

I'll try to install it 'classic" way and check if i will have similar problems.

Have you read the long zfs thread? Otherwise, install OMV 4.x and omv-extras. Then enable the omv-extras testing repo and install the latest omv-extras package. This will give you a button in the kernel tab to install the proxmox kernel (which is the Ubuntu 18 kernel re-packaged). It already has the zfs module built-in (no compiling). Since proxmox runs this kernel on a Debian Stretch userland, it is very good and the zfs plugin was updated to work with this kernel. I would remove the standard Debian kernels with the other button in omv-extras before installing zfs though.

I havent read this because i didnt want to debug something already not reliable. I chose OMV because i had fairly good home use experience and because its based on Debian. We us proxmox in company i work, all our linux containers and VMs are debian'ish so OMV was obvious choice. Proxmox is really handy tool with nice webgui where you can do things fast and easy. Thats why im looking for similiar experience for NAS server (without too much bloatware like Nas4free or freenas).
    So thanks for a tip with proxmox kernel, i'll give OMV a last chance.

//EDIT
    Ive installed extras, turned on extras-testing, hit "UPDATE" in omv-extras secition, updated all and after reboot i have theese kernels to choose (see attachment). Other things here are Clonezilla/Gparted/SystemrescueCD.

//EDIT2
    Ok, i just went to terminal and manually added proxmox repos, downloaded kernel and headers (4.15.3-1) , switched to the kernel, deleted repo, installed omv-extras and installed ZFS. Works fine now, so i will set default kernel in GRUB to pve kernel.

BTW: is there any way to create RAID10 in ZFS-plugin? I havent see it and again had to do it in terminal.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wanted to say that ZFS on OMV is not for production use

I don't agree with this either. Many people do. Once things are setup, zfs is rock solid. There may be a couple of weird issue with the plugin but that shouldn't affect the stability of the filesystem.

Ive installed extras, turned on extras-testing, hit "UPDATE" in omv-extras secition, updated all and after reboot i have theese kernels to choose (see attachment). Other things here are Clonezilla/Gparted/SystemrescueCD.

You need to clear your browser cache to see the install proxmox kernel button. See Problem #1 - Solutions to common problems

Ok, i just went to terminal and manually added proxmox repos, downloaded kernel and headers (4.15.3-1) , switched to the kernel, deleted repo, installed omv-extras and installed ZFS. Works fine now, so i will set default kernel in GRUB to pve kernel.

Clearing the browser cache would have saved you time here.

is there any way to create RAID10 in ZFS-plugin? I havent see it and again had to do it in terminal.

I guess not. From my understanding, there is no real raid 10 in zfs. You can create mirrors and then stripe them but I guess we don't allow you to use a drive in use anymore (I think I actually changed that). You could create the mirrors in the web interface and then create the stripe from the command line and import it in the plugin. Having to do advanced things from the command line is not unreasonable. Not *every* thing can be available from the web interface. It makes it too complicated.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I guess not. From my understanding, there is no real raid 10 in zfs. You can create mirrors and then stripe them but I guess we don't allow you to use a drive in use anymore (I think I actually changed that). You could create the mirrors in the web interface and then create the stripe from the command line and import it in the plugin. Having to do advanced things from the command line is not unreasonable. Not *every* thing can be available from the web interface. It makes it too complicated.

Wouldn't creating a mirror pool, and then in the web interface "Expand" it with another mirror create a RAID10-equivalent ZFS, i.e. striped mirror vdevs? I believe I did this when I created my pool some time ago (things have happened to the plug-in since then).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wouldn't creating a mirror pool, and then in the web interface "Expand" it with another mirror create a RAID10-equivalent ZFS, i.e. striped mirror vdevs? I believe I did this when I created my pool some time ago (things have happened to the plug-in since then).

Yep, that works. Thanks for the tip!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!