OMV system Standby via UI trigger not working

• Hello,

i have done a new installation of OMV on my NAS system (own build, configuration see below) but if i use the Standby function from UI the UI is switching view to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\shutdown.php and i see a blue screen with a red button in my browser. But my NAS seems to do nothing and it is still accessable and using the same power. If i enter the direct command "systemctl suspend" my NAS is switching into suspend to ram mode with a power consumention of 3-4 kwh. Some updates ago if i pressed the "Standy" button on the UI, it happend the same as i entered the command. Can anyone help?

Hardware:
    CPU: Intel Core I3-8300
    Mainboard: ASROCK B360 Pro4
    RAM: Kingston 8 GB ValueRAM Single Rank DDR4-2400 DIMM CL17-17-17 Single
    Data drives: 2x 128GB Intel 600p M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 (1x System, 1x Docker/VMs)
    3x 10000GB Seagate IronWolf ST10000VN0004 (SnapRaid)
    power: 300 Watt LC-Power LC420-12 Non-Modular 80+ Bronze

Software:
    OMV: 4.18.2-1
    Linux Kernel: 4.16.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

Installed Plugins
    - anacron (not in use)
    - apttool (not in use)
    - autoshutdown
    - backup (inactive)
    - clamav (inactive)
    - distkstats
    - docker-gui
    - downloader (not in use)
    - flashmemory
    - letsencrypt
    - luksencryption (not in use)
    - lvm (not in use)
    - minidlna (inactive)
    - omvextrasorg
    - remotedesktop
    - remotemount (inactive)
    - resetperms
    - shellinabox
    - snapraid
    - symlinks
    - teamviewerhost
    - unionfilesystems
    - usbbackup (inactive)
    - virtualbox (inactive)
    - wakealarm (inactive)
    - webdav (inactive)
    - WOL

Installed Docker containers:
    - Plex media server

Additional:
    - configured smb shares
    - WOL configured IP + MAC addresses
    - configured notifications

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV uses the pm-hibernate, pm-powersave, pm-suspend-hybrid, pm-is-supported and pm-suspend CLI tools to manage the power management. Maybe they work different than systemctl. The internal scripts use pm-is-supported to check which power mode is supported, so i assume that this does not really work well on your system.

• Ok, i found the problem. I have installed the Flash memory plugin.
    Install instructions:

• Execute the following command: nano /etc/fstab
    • Add noatime and nodiratime to root options. See before and after example lines:
      BEFORE:UUID=ccd327d4-a1ed-4fd2-b356-3b492c6f6c34 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1AFTER:UUID=ccd327d4-a1ed-4fd2-b356-3b492c6f6c34 / ext4 noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    • Comment out the swap partition. See before and after example lines (only need to add a # to beginning of the line):
      BEFORE:UUID=a3c989d8-e12b-41d3-b021-098155d6b21b none swap sw 0 0AFTER:#UUID=a3c989d8-e12b-41d3-b021-098155d6b21b none swap sw 0 0
      If i just change the line mentioned in point 2, standby is working, but if i also change the line mentioned in point 3 (deactivating the swap partition) standby is not working anymore. Does anyone know this bug or have any idea how i can solve this?
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, i found the problem. I have installed the Flash memory plugin.

That is why these instructions are optional. Personally, i would not use standby with an SD card since you are going to be doing a lot of writes every time you go into standby.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi!

Some help and advice would be welcome here!
    I use an odroid HC2 which boots from a sd card.
    What kind of suspend mode is recommanded?

As per autoshutdown : I am the sole user of OMV. Thus, I have set only my IP to scan.
    However, the log show that autoshutdown still scans other IPs in the network..

Thanks for your interest!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you have used the OMV image for HC2 the CPU will be clocked down when it has nothing to do. You can also adjust the firmware to switch off the hard drive after some time (if not already configured like that from factory). So energy consumption is really low and I decided to not use autoshutdown.

• Ok, i found the problem. I have installed the Flash memory plugin.
    Install instructions:

• Execute the following command: nano /etc/fstab
    • Add noatime and nodiratime to root options. See before and after example lines:
      BEFORE:UUID=ccd327d4-a1ed-4fd2-b356-3b492c6f6c34 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1AFTER:UUID=ccd327d4-a1ed-4fd2-b356-3b492c6f6c34 / ext4 noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    • Comment out the swap partition. See before and after example lines (only need to add a # to beginning of the line):
      BEFORE:UUID=a3c989d8-e12b-41d3-b021-098155d6b21b none swap sw 0 0AFTER:#UUID=a3c989d8-e12b-41d3-b021-098155d6b21b none swap sw 0 0
      If i just change the line mentioned in point 2, standby is working, but if i also change the line mentioned in point 3 (deactivating the swap partition) standby is not working anymore. Does anyone know this bug or have any idea how i can solve this?

The same problem here. After fresh install, all standby/suspend operations were working just fine.
    At some point, they were not working anymore.
    Of course, autoshutdown was also not working.
    I was even try to play with rtcwake and all modes worked EXCEPT standby (mem, disk, off).

I disabled /etc/fstab commenting out the swap partition and after reboot, suspend works...

So, should I just leave swap uncommented? I have a SSD as a system drive and Flash Plugin installed, with noatime and nodiratime and also swapiness=1.
    Is it enough?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Disabling swap is optional. On a system with enough ram, it won't use it anyway. But, if you want your system to suspend, you need swap (as you have found). An SSD should be able to handle the writes without the flashmemory plugin but I use it on my systems with SSDs anyway.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I currently have Flash Plugin installed, edited fstab with "noatime" and "nodiratime" and swapiness is set to 1.
    Swap partition at /sda5 is *enabled* currently and I will eventually left it this way - if that's the cost of working suspend.

Actually, giving that my OS is on 60GB SSD, 7GB is reserved for overprovisioning, system itself occupy ~2GB then I think, I'm still very good in terms of SSD lifetime.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!