Seagate HDD on Odroid HC2 spins down after 4 minutes regardless of settings

• Setup:
    OMV 3.0.99 (Erasmus)
    Odroid HC2
    Exynos 5422 CPU 4x2.0GHz 4x1.4GHz
    Seagate Barracuda 4TB ST4000DM004

Hi,
    I recently build a NAS using the config mentioned above, and everything is working like a charm so far, exept the hdd spins down automatically after precisely 4 minutes. If a spindown is requested before that, it spins down just fine, but it appears as if the internal shutdowntimer completely ignores any attempt to change it. The only way I have found to stop it from shutting down so far, is to manually read or write files larger than the internal cache of the drive every 2-3 minutes, wich is obviously not a great solution. This 4 minute shutdown also happens in other systems (Raspberry Pi 3B, Desktop) and every attempt to stop the shutdown has failed there too. I found one potential solution here, but it is for an older version of the drives and a windows based fix.

Thanks in advance
    Redjard

(replies in german are fine)

• The HC2 can spin down the HDD by the firmware

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/jms578_fw_update

You can disable it by setting the timer "-t" to 0. Maybe it is set to 4 min on your board.

This was indeed the case and after following the procedure the hard drive now continues spinning after 4 minutes, but now I hear a click after exactly 10 minutes and the drive spins down at a random time in the following 2 minutes. I tried different settings for APM AAM and Spindown time and it again seems to have no influence. I also encountered the drive spinning down after anywhere from 10.5 minutes to 12 minutes, so there is no exact timing anymore. While trying to find a solution I encountered this, which could be the click I heard after 10 minutes, but I really don't know.

• I would disable APM completely. To be sure run
    hdparm -B255 /dev/sda and check when the drive spins down.

The command output was:

redjard-media / # hdparm -B255 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
    setting Advanced Power Management level to disabled
    HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Input/output error
    APM_level = not supported

The drive still behaves exactly the same, so I guess hdparm simply doesn't work on this config?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!