Unresponsive OMV environment.

• Hello,

When issuing the shutdown via the management console, the drive powered down automatically and then OMV finished the NAS shutdown on the Raspberry Pi. Nothing new, nothing failing, and all appeared normal.

I have two Raspberry Pi's setup. One for OMV and the other for Kodi. Kodi is working fine but for some reason when I went to boot up the NAS, there is something that is not making the shared drive accessible. Also, I would always receive the shared resource named 'SMB CIFS' within the finder on my MacBook Pro. I'm perfectly certain there is nothing wrong with Kodi on the Pi or my Mac.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide any diagnostic information as I can't even connect to the management console. I can't even SSH into the OMV instance.
    - the build I used to install OMV was OMV_3_0_88_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.41.img.xz, with updates applied approximately a month ago. None of the updates created any issues at all as the NAS has been rebooted a few times since the updates were applied. If I recall correctly the drive was formatted EXT4.
    - I have powered off and on the OMV on the Pi simply because I couldn't connect.
    - The IP address for the Pi's OMV is shown as not connected to the local network, presumably because OMV is not totally initialized.
    - I have rebooted the modem which is connected to the OMV instance on the Pi via Ethernet. None of the other ethernet connections are presenting any issues, so I don't see any issues there.
    - Since I don't see the shared storage device in the finder, I tried accessing the files via Kodi and it couldn't find them.
    - BTW, I am using a Seagate 4TB Backup Plus Hub.
    - The access to the various folders on the Seagate drive are all via SMB.

I know this isn't much of any diagnostic information to go by but is my only option to re-install OMV and configure everything from scratch? Hopefully I will not need to go that route. Even if that is my only option, will the folders on the drive still be accessible with the existing data retained?

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you connect a monitor to see if there are any errors? Without more info, there is very little to help you with.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I run headless mainly because I don't have a monitor but I did connect the video to an HDTV and saw this at the end:
    5.711787 ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)

Not even being able to mount the root makes me think I may have to reinstall and may go to OMV 4.
    Is there a diagnostic mode to start OMV that will allow some sort of filesystem check and repair? My OMV is on an SD card so I could remove it and modify whatever may be required.
    I guess the most critical issue is will a fresh OMV recognize the existing files on the hard drive?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a diagnostic mode to start OMV that will allow some sort of filesystem check and repair?

Not on an arm board. You could put the card in another linux system. Boot a rescue cd/usb stick on a windows sytem if you don't have a Linux box.

I guess the most critical issue is will a fresh OMV recognize the existing files on the hard drive?

Yes but if the users you create have a different user id, the permissions may be wrong. The resetperms plugin can help with that.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Tried numerous attempts to resolve the issue but I may have only further complicated the OMV configuration. In the end I started with a fresh install to the upgraded OMV 4, recovered most of my data and back to operational status. I am going to perform backups of my whole OMV config so I can restore if needed. I’ll search the forum for the best backup/restore solutions for the OMV OS and its configuration on the Raspberry Pi. It could have been an issue with the SD card....still uncertain what actually caused the problem in the first place. I think I’ll also look into putting OMV on a thumb drive to eliminate the read/writes to an SD card. Other than this problem, I am very happy with OMV. Thanks for the time given to assist me with my issue.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!