My Diy NAS build

• Hi!

New to the forums (and to OMV), been using Freenas, nexentastor & for the last year a Netgear Readynas Ultra 6.
    Now I finally found the proper hardware to do a nice diy build :)

The parts:

Motherboard: Intel DBS1200KPR
    CPU: Intel Core I3-3220 (Could use Xeon E3, but really don't need that kind of power (yet)).
    Memory: Kingston 2x8GB ECC DDR3
    Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
    HBA: IT-mode flashed IBM M1015
    Case: U-Nas NSC-800
    PSU: FSC 1U 460W (FSP460-701UG(80))
    HDD: Either 8x1TB Hitachi Ultrastar or 8x1.5TB Seagate Barracuda (ST31500341AS)
    BOOT: Either USB memory stick or a 64GB OCZ Vertex 2

8 bay hotswap nas chassis:

I'll probably be testing different NAS solutions on this hw. (OMS, Freenas etc).
    I'll try to keep the build log updated, and post pics when I get everything.
    Only thing missing is the PSU & Case, and they should be delivered today and tomorrow.

-j

• If I would build a fixed 8bay nas I would definitly go for the case. Sadly it is not available in germany... (Except if you let it ship from china...).

Why so small Hard Disks? And why the hell 7200rpm?

I would recommend you to get WD RED drives instead... ;)

And don't forget that you need an 2,5" drive or an SSD as a system drive.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

If I would build a fixed 8bay nas I would definitly go for the case. Sadly it is not available in germany... (Except if you let it ship from china...).

The shipping from U-nas.com was about $46 with Fedex delivery, not the cheapest, but I haven't found any cases that would be as good.

Zitat

Why so small Hard Disks? And why the hell 7200rpm?

I have 14 1TB Ultrastars, the 6 2TB RED's are for now installed in the Readynas.

Zitat

And don't forget that you need an 2,5" drive or an SSD as a system drive.

I'm going to use a 64GB OXZ Vertex 2 as my bootdrive (with Freenas a USB stick would be sufficient) :)

-J

• Offizieller Beitrag

How long did it take to get the case?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not bad. Looking forward to more pics. Have always liked that case. Just wish it didn't use a 1U power supply.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Thanks for reminding me about that :-x

But at least I have a friend who already has that case above, and another who builds his NAS with an old G5 case, which temporarily is an Dell case...

So, we are not alone...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

• I try to post pictures of the case which arrived just now.
    But it gets flagged as spam..

Seems to avoid spam blocking if I post 1 picture pr.post ..
    This will take some time...

-j

• Two tips, first check if the hard disk trays got damaged. (heard it over in another forum, some of them don't slide as good as the other ones, seems to be transport damage)
    Second, don't run the hard disks without installing them to the trays and FANS ACTIVE (!) ... ;)

Greetings
    David

PS: Cute cat.

• Zitat von "mizifih"

Can you show us the FANs that will cool down all those HDDs? I'm curious.

Already in love with your case.

The fans are 2 Gelid Silent 12

I'm connecting the via a case fan splitter to the motherboard sys_fan header.
    That way they get regulated according to temperature.

-j

• Am I seeing this correctly, you mounted them so they push air out?
    Let them pull air into the case, this gets you better temperatures!

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!