initramfs after installation on usb disk

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• initramfs after installation on usb disk

Hello
      I try to install openmediavault_4.1.3-amd64 on a usb disk.
      I disconnect all my hdd on my nas, on one usb key I have openmediavault_4.1.3-amd64 and on the other usb key I installed this version.

There is no problem during the install.

When I boot on my usb key with a fresh install of openmediavault_4.1.3 I have this message

ALERT! /dev/sbd1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
      Busybox v1.22.1 (Debian 1:1.22.0-19*b3) built-in shell (ash)
      (initramfs)

and of course openmediavault does not start

I try with an older version openmediavault_4.0.14-amd64 I have the same problem

Do you how to solve that?
      Thanks
    • doommick wrote:

ALERT! /dev/sbd1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
      From the other thread on this topic, as posted by @flvinny521 , the common thread seems to be using USB thumbdrives as source installation media, and installing to a 2nd USB thumbdrive that is subsequently used as the OMV boot drive.

The following is speculation, but it makes sense.

Since the installation source must be bootable and assigned a drive device name to be read, it would be the first USB drive recognized (and labeled as /dev/sda1?). The installation routine would then have to label the second USB drive, where the OMV build is being installed, as something else for a clean path (/dev/sdb1?).
      On a reboot, where the install source USB drive is removed and the install is complete; the 2nd drive, now the boot drive, might be recognized as /dev/sda1 which would explain why /dev/sdb1 does not exist (where the software was originally installed).
      Thereafter, it stands to reason that Grub entries would need to be revised so that a system, that was originally installed on /dev/sdb1, would now boot from /dev/sda1.

I've installed OM4 to thumbdrives on more than a couple occasions, on different hardware platforms, but I've always used a bootable CD as an installation source. CD drives are recognized as another drive type, /dev/sr0, which would allow the USB thumbdrive being built, to be recognized / labeled as /dev/sda1 (or whatever device name BIOS decides to assign to it). The assigned device label would still be correct, after the CD is removed and the PC is rebooted.

Other variables to consider might be BIOS types and settings, which determines what hardware is recognized, how it's labeled, etc. Again, since the variables are numerous, this is speculation.

In any case, building from CD's , I've had zero problems installing to USB thumbdrives and using them as a boot disk.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

The post was edited 4 times, last by flmaxey: edit2 ().