Can't select device to create shared folders

• OMV 4.x
    • Resolved
    • Can't select device to create shared folders

Hello,

I've successfully installed Debian then OMV 4 on my QNAP TS-210. Now, I've started to configure the system according to my needs but I ended up having a problem to create my shared folders.

Basically, I can't select the device in the GUI. I've searched a solution on the forum but the only thing I could find is that the RAID device must be mounted from the GUI to be able to have it listed when creating a shared folder. The issue here is that this RAID contains the whole system too so I can't possibly unmount and remount it.

Is there a solution to fix this?

Thank you!
    • When you install OMV it will always use the complete drive.
      If you have a single drive you can resize the partition with gparted (for example) and then create an additional filesystem on the freed space of the drive.
      Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this if the OS is on a RAID.
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x | Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems in OMV - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation :!:
    • Can you confirm that OMV is using the complete RAID?
      You would have to reduce the size of the RAID after OMV has been installed. I do not know if and how this can be done.

Why do you need RAID?
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x | Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems in OMV - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation :!:
    • If you can get to the BIOS of the QNAP - how about setting it to boot from a USB thumbdrive and install OMV on a thumbdrive?
      (It might not be necessary to change BIOS. The QNAP may be able to boot from a thumbdrive with default settings.) The thumbdrive would become your boot drive, with your spinning drives storing data. (If this works for you, you'd need to install the flashmemory plugin.)

Really, it's not a good idea to have OMV booting from a RAID array. If something goes wrong with the array, and over time it will, there would be no way to troubleshoot the problem.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing
      OMV 3.0.99, R-PI 2, 16GB SD-card boot, 4TB WD My Passport
    • Thank you for your answers.

I realized that I forgot to mention that my Qnap is a TS-210 which is a rather limited ARM platform. The Debian base system is installed in the built-in flash and OMV is using the complete RAID due to the limited flash capacity. So in reality, OMV never boots from the RAID.

I do not need RAID for OMV as such but I do need RAID for the data stored on the NAS.

I've found someone actually using the dual RAID arrays on 2 physical drives. If I do something similar I should be able to have a raid array with OMV on it and a second one where I could put my network shares.
      lazic.info/josip/post/installi…ediavault-on-raid-device/
    • As I remember, there's a How-To out there for installing OMV on a Qnap. Since searching the forum, with the built in search, doesn't give complete results. Try searching with Google (or your favorite search engine) using the terms, OMV, Qnap, TS-210, install, and see what you find.

There may be a detailed install process out there.
    • I managed to do what I wanted.

In the end I needed to partition like this:
      md0 for /boot
      md1 for /
      md2 for the swap
      md3 for the shared folders

This allows me to unmount md3 and remount it from the OMV GUI and define my shared folders.

The post was edited 2 times, last by malibu ().

• :thumbsup: