installing omv 4 on odroid-xu4 fails

• greetings

i have freshly installed Debian Stretch from HERE, fully updated/upgraded
    then i followed THIS guide to install omv 4
    first it failed saying no space in /boot, i deleted old kernels from boot directory and restarted the shell script
    have tried apt-get -f install but no gain
    following is the error log

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why not use the image from here?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• i have freshly installed Debian Stretch from HERE, fully updated/upgraded
    then i followed THIS guide to install omv 4

This is a recipe to get a pretty slow performing OMV installation afterwards (but it might be better now that meveric updated his image to a more recent kernel -- in the past images using the old 3.x kernels and not using any optimizations performed not even half as fast as our optimized image).

The differences to our optimized OMV 4 image @ryecoaaron already mentioned are outlined in detail here: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…findComment&comment=44097

• This is a recipe to get a pretty slow performing OMV installation afterwards (but it might be better now that meveric updated his image to a more recent kernel -- in the past images using the old 3.x kernels and not using any optimizations performed not even half as fast as our optimized image).
    The differences to our optimized OMV 4 image @ryecoaaron already mentioned are outlined in detail here: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…findComment&comment=44097

that's a great read, thank you for this
    is boot from emmc supported? last time i heard armbian is only bootable from micro-sd card on odroid-xu4
    i have flashed it on my emmc got zero response no ALIVE LED blinking

• is boot from emmc supported?

Depends on the eMMC. The Samsung Exynos boots from hidden boot partitions on the eMMC and this part is not accessible when you burn the image to eMMC.

Hardkernel flashed a crippled u-boot until last year (only capable to boot from FAT partitions), IIRC they fixed this 10 or 11 months ago. From then on the u-boot they flash to eMMC can also deal with ext4 (which Armbian and OMV use).

In other words: If your eMMC is older than 9 months you most probably need to update the hidden boot partition. This requires flashing the image with Etcher to an SD card, then booting, then calling nand-sata-install and there menu item 5: 'update bootloader' (or something similar).

Afterwards you can either transfer the image from SD card to eMMC (also using nand-sata-install) or simply reflash the eMMC and it will work.

The problem is a limitation of the bootloader Hardkernel flashed for years on their eMMC modules (only FAT enabled for whatever weird reasons and no Linux filesystems)

• thanks a lot
    have updated my eMMC now its booting fine with eMMC
    had to manually resize my root partition, though

few off-topic questions, if you don't mind
    can't change ethernet name from enx to eth0
    is there any proper method to add desktop environment on it?

• had to manually resize my root partition, though

Do you use an 8 GB eMMC?

can't change ethernet name from enx to eth0

There are methods to do this but not supported and I refuse to help since the method is marked as deprecated with Debian Stretch and won't be available with next Debian version anyway. Better learn to live with better network interface names right now: https://www.freedesktop.org/wi…bleNetworkInterfaceNames/

s there any proper method to add desktop environment on it?

No idea. I had never attached any display to any of my ODROIDs...

I only remember that installing some sort of DE (GNOME?) resulted in a broken OMV installation so this is not recommended anyway.

• i have 32GB eMMC 5.0
    it created 1st boot, 2nd btrfs of ~7 GB and the 3rd partition with remaining free space without any partition type

oh that's a bummer - anyways i'll try to manage
    thanks a lot man!

• it created 1st boot, 2nd btrfs of ~7 GB and the 3rd partition with remaining free space without any partition type

So everything as expected. Not resizing the rootfs to full size is by design since OMV doesn't need this much space and the 3rd partition is supposed to be used as another data drive after you formatted it.

Check the readme please: https://sourceforge.net/projec…ngle%20Board%20Computers/

• Zitat

- The last partition for data use will be automatically resized on first boot to use all available SD card space. Though you need to put your filesystem of choice on it (eg mkfs.btrfs /dev/mmcblk0p3)
    openmediavault-flashmemory plugin preinstalled to reduce wear on SD card/eMMC.

oh i see
    thanks

• This topic is number 2 in google with query "openmediavault emmc resize"

@tkaiser I have emmc 16 Gb, 2 partitions are created (8Gb ttl), there is no third partition. Apparently there is no way to create it in GUI (emmc is not available for selection). Is it designed to be done through SSH? Or something went wrong with my flashing and I need to reflash? Would like to avoid this to keep the setup, however it is not critical.
    Parted does not show emmc with print command
    Also found this - https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2948
    But not clear if it will work with Nanopi M4/openmediavault 4, it is 5 years old now, also because somewhere on forums someone said to do things in GUI only as necessary inputs are being created in databases, etc.

Will appreaciate advice, thanks.

• Yes, how does the output of cat /proc/partitions or even better armbianmonotor -u looks like?

armbianmonotor -u http://ix.io/1yY2

So there was a partition, thanks:

However now I can't mount it via GUI with error:

Actually I suffer from similar errors on other actions in GUI, for example when I try to enable User home directory

• @tkaiser thanks a lot for support.
    The error I mentioned before disappeared when I reflashed the image. Third partition was already there (probably not removed during flash process by etcher).
    Since then I only encounter errors related to /tmp/, which are supposed to be fixed already. The workaround is to try to perform operation several times, it will work sooner or later.
    Also very annoying that after any considerable operation I need to reboot SBC, otherwise the are many errors in GUI. For example after software update, or docker GUI installation (Which only installs properly via SSH and fails to configure itself if installed via GUI)

Yet great support makes OMV usable and eventually enjoyable :)

• Third partition was already there (probably not removed during flash process by etcher)

Flashing completely overwrites the partition table but the 2nd partition will be resized on first boot and the 3rd one created.

If you run into troubles with the M4 then please keep in mind that this board (same with NEO4) can't be powered reliably due to using USB-C in dumb mode (same sh*t show as with Micro USB powering). You need a very short USB-C cable with thick power wires. The amperage rating of the PSU is rather irrelevant since the voltage drop with long/thin cables is usually the problem.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!