installing omv 4 on odroid-xu4 fails

    • OMV 4.x
    • Resolved
    • installing omv 4 on odroid-xu4 fails

      greetings

      i have freshly installed Debian Stretch from HERE, fully updated/upgraded
      then i followed THIS guide to install omv 4
      first it failed saying no space in /boot, i deleted old kernels from boot directory and restarted the shell script
      have tried apt-get -f install but no gain
      following is the error log

      Source Code

      1. root@odroid:~# ./omv
      2. Ign:1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
      3. Hit:2 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-updates InRelease
      4. Hit:3 http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates InRelease
      5. Hit:4 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-backports InRelease
      6. Hit:5 http://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis InRelease
      7. Hit:6 http://www.deb-multimedia.org stretch InRelease
      8. Hit:7 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch Release
      9. Hit:8 https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric all InRelease
      10. Hit:10 https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric stretch InRelease
      11. Reading package lists... Done
      12. Reading package lists... Done
      13. Building dependency tree
      14. Reading state information... Done
      15. openmediavault-keyring is already the newest version (1.0).
      16. 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      17. 2 not fully installed or removed.
      18. After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
      19. Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
      20. Setting up collectd (5.7.1-1.1) ...
      21. Job for collectd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
      22. See "systemctl status collectd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
      23. invoke-rc.d: initscript collectd, action "restart" failed.
      24. * collectd.service - Statistics collection and monitoring daemon
      25. Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/collectd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
      26. Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-07-03 18:52:35 PKT; 21ms ago
      27. Docs: man:collectd(1)
      28. man:collectd.conf(5)
      29. https://collectd.org
      30. Process: 3534 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/collectd -t (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
      31. Jul 03 18:52:35 odroid systemd[1]: collectd.service: Unit entered failed state.
      32. Jul 03 18:52:35 odroid systemd[1]: collectd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
      33. dpkg: error processing package collectd (--configure):
      34. subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
      35. dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault:
      36. openmediavault depends on collectd; however:
      37. Package collectd is not configured yet.
      38. dpkg: error processing package openmediavault (--configure):
      39. dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
      40. Errors were encountered while processing:
      41. collectd
      42. openmediavault
      43. E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
      44. Ign:1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
      45. Hit:2 http://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis InRelease
      46. Hit:3 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-updates InRelease
      47. Hit:4 http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates InRelease
      48. Hit:5 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-backports InRelease
      49. Hit:6 http://www.deb-multimedia.org stretch InRelease
      50. Hit:7 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch Release
      51. Hit:8 https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric all InRelease
      52. Hit:9 https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric stretch InRelease
      53. Reading package lists... Done
      54. Reading package lists... Done
      55. Building dependency tree
      56. Reading state information... Done
      57. postfix is already the newest version (3.1.8-0+deb9u1).
      58. openmediavault is already the newest version (4.1.8.2-1).
      59. 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      60. 2 not fully installed or removed.
      61. After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
      62. Setting up collectd (5.7.1-1.1) ...
      63. Job for collectd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
      64. See "systemctl status collectd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
      65. invoke-rc.d: initscript collectd, action "restart" failed.
      66. * collectd.service - Statistics collection and monitoring daemon
      67. Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/collectd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
      68. Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-07-03 18:52:45 PKT; 23ms ago
      69. Docs: man:collectd(1)
      70. man:collectd.conf(5)
      71. https://collectd.org
      72. Process: 4114 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/collectd -t (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
      73. Jul 03 18:52:45 odroid systemd[1]: collectd.service: Unit entered failed state.
      74. Jul 03 18:52:45 odroid systemd[1]: collectd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
      75. dpkg: error processing package collectd (--configure):
      76. subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
      77. dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault:
      78. openmediavault depends on collectd; however:
      79. Package collectd is not configured yet.
      80. dpkg: error processing package openmediavault (--configure):
      81. dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
      82. Errors were encountered while processing:
      83. collectd
      84. openmediavault
      85. E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
      86. /usr/sbin/omv-initsystem: 24: .: Can't open /etc/default/openmediavault
      87. root@odroid:~#
      Display All
    • kamilmirza wrote:

      i have freshly installed Debian Stretch from HERE, fully updated/upgraded
      then i followed THIS guide to install omv 4
      This is a recipe to get a pretty slow performing OMV installation afterwards (but it might be better now that meveric updated his image to a more recent kernel -- in the past images using the old 3.x kernels and not using any optimizations performed not even half as fast as our optimized image).

      The differences to our optimized OMV 4 image @ryecoaaron already mentioned are outlined in detail here: forum.armbian.com/topic/3953-p…findComment&comment=44097
    • tkaiser wrote:

      kamilmirza wrote:

      i have freshly installed Debian Stretch from HERE, fully updated/upgraded
      then i followed THIS guide to install omv 4
      This is a recipe to get a pretty slow performing OMV installation afterwards (but it might be better now that meveric updated his image to a more recent kernel -- in the past images using the old 3.x kernels and not using any optimizations performed not even half as fast as our optimized image).
      The differences to our optimized OMV 4 image @ryecoaaron already mentioned are outlined in detail here: forum.armbian.com/topic/3953-p…findComment&comment=44097
      that's a great read, thank you for this
      is boot from emmc supported? last time i heard armbian is only bootable from micro-sd card on odroid-xu4
      i have flashed it on my emmc got zero response no ALIVE LED blinking
    • kamilmirza wrote:

      is boot from emmc supported?
      Depends on the eMMC. The Samsung Exynos boots from hidden boot partitions on the eMMC and this part is not accessible when you burn the image to eMMC.

      Hardkernel flashed a crippled u-boot until last year (only capable to boot from FAT partitions), IIRC they fixed this 10 or 11 months ago. From then on the u-boot they flash to eMMC can also deal with ext4 (which Armbian and OMV use).

      In other words: If your eMMC is older than 9 months you most probably need to update the hidden boot partition. This requires flashing the image with Etcher to an SD card, then booting, then calling nand-sata-install and there menu item 5: 'update bootloader' (or something similar).

      Afterwards you can either transfer the image from SD card to eMMC (also using nand-sata-install) or simply reflash the eMMC and it will work.

      The problem is a limitation of the bootloader Hardkernel flashed for years on their eMMC modules (only FAT enabled for whatever weird reasons and no Linux filesystems)
    • tkaiser wrote:

      kamilmirza wrote:

      is boot from emmc supported?
      Depends on the eMMC. The Samsung Exynos boots from hidden boot partitions on the eMMC and this part is not accessible when you burn the image to eMMC.
      Hardkernel flashed a crippled u-boot until last year (only capable to boot from FAT partitions), IIRC they fixed this 10 or 11 months ago. From then on the u-boot they flash to eMMC can also deal with ext4 (which Armbian and OMV use).

      In other words: If your eMMC is older than 9 months you most probably need to update the hidden boot partition. This requires flashing the image with Etcher to an SD card, then booting, then calling nand-sata-install and there menu item 5: 'update bootloader' (or something similar).

      Afterwards you can either transfer the image from SD card to eMMC (also using nand-sata-install) or simply reflash the eMMC and it will work.

      The problem is a limitation of the bootloader Hardkernel flashed for years on their eMMC modules (only FAT enabled for whatever weird reasons and no Linux filesystems)
      thanks a lot
      have updated my eMMC now its booting fine with eMMC
      had to manually resize my root partition, though

      few off-topic questions, if you don't mind
      can't change ethernet name from enx to eth0
      is there any proper method to add desktop environment on it?
    • kamilmirza wrote:

      had to manually resize my root partition, though

      Do you use an 8 GB eMMC?

      kamilmirza wrote:

      can't change ethernet name from enx to eth0

      There are methods to do this but not supported and I refuse to help since the method is marked as deprecated with Debian Stretch and won't be available with next Debian version anyway. Better learn to live with better network interface names right now: freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/…bleNetworkInterfaceNames/

      kamilmirza wrote:

      s there any proper method to add desktop environment on it?

      No idea. I had never attached any display to any of my ODROIDs...

      I only remember that installing some sort of DE (GNOME?) resulted in a broken OMV installation so this is not recommended anyway.
    • tkaiser wrote:

      kamilmirza wrote:

      had to manually resize my root partition, though
      Do you use an 8 GB eMMC?

      kamilmirza wrote:

      can't change ethernet name from enx to eth0
      There are methods to do this but not supported and I refuse to help since the method is marked as deprecated with Debian Stretch and won't be available with next Debian version anyway. Better learn to live with better network interface names right now: freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/…bleNetworkInterfaceNames/

      kamilmirza wrote:

      s there any proper method to add desktop environment on it?
      No idea. I had never attached any display to any of my ODROIDs...

      I only remember that installing some sort of DE (GNOME?) resulted in a broken OMV installation so this is not recommended anyway.
      i have 32GB eMMC 5.0
      it created 1st boot, 2nd btrfs of ~7 GB and the 3rd partition with remaining free space without any partition type

      oh that's a bummer - anyways i'll try to manage
      thanks a lot man!
    • kamilmirza wrote:

      it created 1st boot, 2nd btrfs of ~7 GB and the 3rd partition with remaining free space without any partition type
      So everything as expected. Not resizing the rootfs to full size is by design since OMV doesn't need this much space and the 3rd partition is supposed to be used as another data drive after you formatted it.

      Check the readme please: sourceforge.net/projects/openm…ngle%20Board%20Computers/
    • - The last partition for data use will be automatically resized on first boot to use all available SD card space. Though you need to put your filesystem of choice on it (eg mkfs.btrfs /dev/mmcblk0p3)
      openmediavault-flashmemory plugin preinstalled to reduce wear on SD card/eMMC.
      oh i see
      thanks