Is it ok to use SATA 150MB/s HDD as OS Disk?

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it ok to use SATA 150MB/s HDD as OS Disk?

Hi, I am replanning my hardware now to prepare for OMV4 and also other needs (e.g. downsizing 2 NASes to one and redeploying the other NAS as a rendering machine instead). I happen to find a 320 GB SATA 150MB/s HDD that is still working. Should I use it so that I can free up the current 1 TB SATA 300MB/s HDDs? Or is it better to use USB thumbdrives and the flashmemory plugin?

Thanks!
    • darkarn wrote:

as long the drive can handle large amount of reads and writes, it can be used as an OS drive?

The OS drive on an OMV installation experiences some read activity at every boot and if you activated monitoring (default) then some constant write activity all the times. As long as the drive works the performance is irrelevant.

You don't need to believe this:

Source Code

1. apt install sysstat
      2. iostat 60
      The second command will show you what's happening on your disks (1 minute interval)
    • tkaiser wrote:

darkarn wrote:

as long the drive can handle large amount of reads and writes, it can be used as an OS drive?
      The OS drive on an OMV installation experiences some read activity at every boot and if you activated monitoring (default) then some constant write activity all the times. As long as the drive works the performance is irrelevant.

You don't need to believe this:

Source Code

1. apt install sysstat
      2. iostat 60
      The second command will show you what's happening on your disks (1 minute interval)

Thanks for the confirmation! I'll proceed with this HDD then (either as a SATA or simply use it with an USB enclosure if I run out of SATA ports)
    • darkarn wrote:

Ah sorry. so if %iowait is too big, then I should be worried?
      It really shouldn't be on the OS disk. If it is too big, it would probably be higher on a usb stick since a lot of them are slower than spinning disks.
      omv 4.1.14 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

darkarn wrote:

Ah sorry. so if %iowait is too big, then I should be worried?
      It really shouldn't be on the OS disk. If it is too big, it would probably be higher on a usb stick since a lot of them are slower than spinning disks.

Hmm I see, how big should I be worried about? 5ms maybe?

Also based on the number of SATA ports I have, I will need the OS drive to be on the USB HDD enclosure (it will be a HDD instead of usual USB sticks). I hope it wont get too much of a performance hit.
    • darkarn wrote:

Hmm I see, how big should I be worried about? 5ms maybe?
      I would worry about it when you notice it is a problem.

darkarn wrote:

I hope it wont get too much of a performance hit.
      I don't think you will notice.

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • darkarn wrote:

sounds like I should just try first and report back if I see anything strange?
      Sure.