Wireguard issue (kernel modules? headers?)

• Hi, I'm running OMV since 1.x as a VM on a lovely Hp microserver gen7 running ESXi (now 6.5)
    I upgraded and tweaked bot the hardware (ssd, 8TB drivers, etc) and the sofware (esxi 6.5, OMV4.x) always looking to get better performance from such a limited hardware
    Since my OMV4. runs OpenVPN as a server and WireGuard recently jumped to general news....
    I've been astonished by the promised througput and little cpu overhead

I was tring to install in on the OMV4.x (Debian Strecht based) and in an Windows Linux container (the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS from the MS Store)

I've installed the wireguard packages, and filled the config files on both the Debian server and the ubuntu client
    but once I try to add the interface running command

Code
    ip link add wg0 type wireguard

I get the following error messages:

on Omv4.0 -debian

Code
    RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported

on Ubuntu 18.04 (win 10 container)

Code
    RTNETLINK answers: No such device

kernel info UBUNTU client

Code
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Release:        18.04
    Codename:       bionic

Linux HP-840 4.4.0-43-Microsoft #1-Microsoft Wed Dec 31 14:42:53 PST 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

kernel info Debian (OMV server)

Code
    Distributor ID: Debian
    Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 9.4 (stretch)
    Release:        9.4
    Codename:       stretch

Linux OPENMEDIAVAULT 4.16.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.16.16-2~bpo9+1 (2018-06-26) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Searching on the internet there is still very little documentation given the WireGuard project is still a BETA and it's kernel support is quite new

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just tried it and it seems to be working (no error messages). Did you modprobe wireguard? Are you running the ip link add command as root?

Code
    $ ip addr show dev wg0
    4: wg0: <POINTOPOINT,NOARP> mtu 1420 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/none 
        inet 192.168.13.1/24 scope global wg0
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• my fault, you were right

I had to give up about the MS Linux container on Windows (Ubuntu 18.04 lts app from MS store) as far as believe it or not....there were not the kernel headers in the repo (being is a Ms 4.4 kernel and having the repo just 4.15 kernels)
    SO I went with the TunSafe Client for Windows, thus the Wireguard's author strongly advises against it
    Now there is a networking issue
    How does wireguard pushes the default route?
    I found misleading how-to on the internet
    At the beginning I thought the AllowedIPs = was meant to be an extra check about the client identiy and to better categorize them
    but someone is writing that this is the mask that will be pushed to the routing table
    What if I want the VPN to be used ONLY to reach the server LAN and not to route all of the traffinc?
    Do I have to forge the virtual lan subnet to be supernetted with the remote lan subnet?
    This was not a issue on OpenVPN, I mean I can have a 10.0.0.0/24 remote LAN and a 192.168.10.0/24 VPN subnet and everything was used to work

Is it something I have to write on the client or on the server wireguard config file (or both)?

I have want to pay some credit to this guy as far as I found it the more clean and complete how-to about wireguard configuration
    expecially for those who want to set up the typical environment of a VPN server + many road warrior clients
    https://www.ckn.io/blog/2017/1…eguard-vpn-typical-setup/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!