can i grap my files using a ethernet cable

• so basically my omv pc and my main pc have a spare Ethernet port, can i somehow transfer files between my omv pc and main pc over Ethernet i know this is possible on windows to windows, if i can do it on omv to windows can someone tell me how, sp to sum up i want tostill reaming on the internet to stream plex from the omv pc, and the direct connection would be just to put files on and off the nas. ?(

• I'm a little confused by the question.

You want to transfer files to your NAS from your main PC...directly?

I'm assuming you have a network set up, with a router in place, otherwise there wouldn't be much point to having a NAS.

So why not just set up a Samba share?

OMV 4.x - ASUS P10S-X - Xeon E3-1220 v6 - 64GB ECC Crucial DDR4 2400MHz - Syba SI-PEX40064 SATA3 Card - 60GB Kingston SSD Boot Drive - 3x WD RED 4TB

• Offizieller Beitrag

So why not just set up a Samba share?

@Sui_Generis is correct. You can't transfer files between Windows and Linux, using an ethernet cable or other direct connection, as you may have done using Microsoft easy transfer.

Since Windows (NTFS) files and Linux (POSIX) files are not compatible (permissions alone would be a show stopper), you'd need a Samba network share to act as a sort of "file translator". With a Samba share, it would possible to set up a direct connection between a Windows PC and a Linux server but there would be no point in doing it.

A NAS (OMV server) is "Network Attached Storage". A NAS should be on a network, with an Ethernet switch at a minimum. A Samba share, connected by a network switch to a Windows PC, would be as fast as a direct connected cable.

Also, there's no need to move Plex files (movie files) from the OMV server to a Windows PC. Movies can be played on a Windows PC, from files stored on the server, in a Plex browser window.

• @Sui_Generis okay so the nas is connected to a router/modem and it has a spare gigabit Ethernet card, as does my main pc, i was thinking that it would be faster to connect them with the ethernet cable then to transfer files over Samba so i want to do this this https://techwiser.com/how-to-connect-pc-to-pc-lan-cable/

Ahh, I think I understand what you're getting at.

You want to use the direct connection because I'm guessing your router is 10/100, and the direct connection would give you full gigabit speeds for file transfers?

You can join two machines directly using something called a crossover cable. However, you would still need a Samba share set up, like @flmaxey said, as a 'file translator'.

You would also need to manually assign all the IP information for both machines, given you would be connecting them directly and there would be no DHCP server to assign that.

I have to say though, I've never done a direct cable connection between two machines, let alone when they were already connected to another network. In theory it should work, but I'm I'm not certain I'm afraid.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than myself will be able to step in.

Sui

OMV 4.x - ASUS P10S-X - Xeon E3-1220 v6 - 64GB ECC Crucial DDR4 2400MHz - Syba SI-PEX40064 SATA3 Card - 60GB Kingston SSD Boot Drive - 3x WD RED 4TB

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have to say though, I've never done a direct cable connection between two machines, let alone when they were already connected to another network. In theory it should work, but I'm I'm not certain /----/

I did it one time, at work back in the day, but I can't remember the exact reason why it was necessary. (I used a crossover cable I wired myself - back then interfaces couldn't sense connections and cross automatically.)

There are legitimate reasons for doing it, in addressing security issues for example. A single connection is much more secure, it's easier to control and firewall. The concept is call "DAS", Direct attached Storage, but it's usually done with a USB device or other connection directly to storage hardware. Setting up a full server, with network addressing, a Samba share, etc., for a single cable connection,, well, it kind of defeats the simplistic purpose of a DAS approach.

@Sui_Generis okay so the nas is connected to a router/modem and it has a spare gigabit Ethernet card, as does my main pc, i was thinking that it would be faster to connect them with the ethernet cable then to transfer files over Samba so i want to do this this https://techwiser.com/how-to-connect-pc-to-pc-lan-cable/

As previously mentioned - unless you network is overwhelmed with traffic (unlikely) - a direct connection won't be noticeably faster.

But, if you're really interesting in doing this:
    You could try a regular Ethernet cable - if the interfaces light up on both ends - they crossed automatically.

Assuming your ethernet interfaces won't cross automatically:
    If you know how to wire Cat5, here's the pinning for a crossover cable. You can buy one but, with auto-crossing interfaces, hard wired crossover cables are not common in stores, these days.

__________________________________________________________________________________

For the extra interfaces on the PC and OMV you'll have to set up:
    - A unique network that doesn't interfere with the network addressing used on the regular network.
    - The interfaces used will need addresses within the unique network.
    - You'd have to do the normal setup of shared folders and a Samba Network share.
    (This can't be skipped - Windows / Linux won't accept each others files in raw format.)

• so the nas is connected to a router/modem and it has a spare gigabit Ethernet card, as does my main pc

If a device is GbE capable then you can forget about those funny 'crossover cables' we had to use last century (Auto MDIX is part of the GbE protocol). You still need a Samba share defined on your NAS and if you know what you're doing (most probably not ;) ) this can increase transfer speeds a lot due to SMB Multi-Channel.

It only requires a recent Windows and a recent Samba version on your NAS and if everything is configured correctly you do not even need to fiddle around with network settings (since APIPA should do the job -- even with SMB Multi-channel)

• Offizieller Beitrag

If a device is GbE capable then you can forget about those funny 'crossover cables' we had to use last century (Auto MDIX is part of the GbE protocol).

I did say if the cable is connected and interfaces "light up" on both ends, they crossed automatically. (I.E. a crossover is not needed.) That would account for GbE.

The entire premise behind this thread is based on this link. With network equipment already installed, even if a speed increase was realized with a direct connection, I still can't think of a truly practical reason why a home user would need to do this.
    A Plex client will spool even a high res movie (4K) from a local server, over a GB network, just fine.
    (And even 100MB FD, "from the last century", would be adequate for that purpose.)

• The entire premise behind this thread is based on this link.

I don't care about this link at all. It's a waste of time reading through since Windows only and anachronistic like hell.

As very often I just jumped into a thread to highlight what happens so often in forums: Advice is given which would've been ok maybe 20 years ago but not today any more.

There's no need to talk about crossover cables with GbE since now it's part of auto negotiation. There's no need to fiddle around with manually assigning boring IP addresses since the concept of so called link local adressing exists (Microsoft calls it APIPA and even they implemented it already last century or exactly 20 years ago with Windows 98). The same Microsoft guys did some great work the last decade to pack cool features into the SMB protocol and stuff like SMB multi-channel unlike bonding with Linux really works simple and great even between just two hosts (unfortunately not that easy with Samba today).

This was just the usual reminder that things improve, that there are cool features waiting to be explored and that there's no need to do everything complicated like hell (as we had to do it 20 years ago) :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't care about this link at all. It's a waste of time reading through since Windows only and anachronistic like hell.

As very often I just jumped into a thread to highlight what happens so often in forums: Advice is given which would've been ok maybe 20 years ago but not today any more.

There's no need to talk about crossover cables with GbE since now it's part of auto negotiation.

Please,,, :) ...

Since when has beginner users supplied 100% accurate information on the forum? Other than bigger numbers on the outside of a consumer switch box, many users really don't understand the different between Fa Ethernet and GbE.
    It's better to lay out the two most likely scenarios, which could easily include 100mbs Ethernet at the switch or the client. It was a simple "if" this happens, "then" try this.

We're not talking about data centers here. In home networks, there's still a lot of 100mbs out there. But, yeah, thanks for jumping in with the usual.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In home networks, there's still a lot of 100mbs out there.

I was until a few months ago + I have 2 old working laptops that only have 100mb Ethernet connections, and therefore I have a couple of crossover cables in my network case....never know when you might need one.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was until a few months ago + I have 2 old working laptops that only have 100mb Ethernet connections, and therefore I have a couple of crossover cables in my network case....never know when you might need one.

And there's nothing wrong with a bit of old tech at home. (The price is right. :D ) My OMV test hardware is an old AMD Athlon box, with 100mbs. It's already paid for, "in the last century", and it suits the purpose.
    Further, have you ever seen auto-negotiate fail? I have. "If" something like that happened, crossover cables work with GbE as well.

• Also please note, if you want Samba to work over the second ethernet connection, you'll need to edit the smb.conf file on your Debian server. You do this by:

login as root
    nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

At the very top, underneath Global settings, insert:
    bind interfaces only = yes
    interfaces = 192.168.2.whatever
    (assign your 2nd connection a 192.168.2.xx IP instead of 192.68.1.xx. For me, my main computer is 192.168.2.2 and my linux server is 192.168.2.3)
    Do NOT do a gateway (like 192.168.2.1) if you are using OMV4. (Thanks again tkaiser for helping me understand that). It may work without a gateway on other versions anyway, not entirely sure. Anyway, once you're done, smb.conf should look like:

===================global=======================
    [global]
    bind interfaces only = yes
    interfaces = 192.168.2.3
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = %h server
    ...etc....

Oh, don't forget to actually add the 2nd interface to the OMV control panel by going to network and adding an ethernet interface.

Hope that helps. I have a 10Gb fiber connection as my secondary, and it is super useful to have when moving files back and forth. But even a 10/100/1000 dedicated will free up the 1st interface to be used for whatever streaming you might be doing (like if you're sharing plex with friends, etc)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!