OMV in the enterprise.

• Hi guys.

Debian admin here.

Not a big fan of things like FreeNAS and have been looking for a Debian based NAS solution.

Has anyone here:

a) Considered using OMV in an enterprise? Say up to 2000 users to use it for file sharing?

b) Used OMV with a nice large HP storage array or perhaps another vendor?

I realize that the project is really for home and perhaps small office use and the full set of features available not really the kind of thing used in the enterprise. However, CIFS is CIFS and it may just be 'enough' for file sharing as use openldap anyway.

Thoughts?

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Nas4free is not the original. Freenas was. Nas4free is a continaution of the original Freenas project. Don't really care about this because I won't use a FreeBSD system.

I do not care wich system he is using as long he gets what fits him. But what you tell is not true ;)

• Yes, Tekkbebe, NAS4Free is not a fork, but the continued development of FreeNAS. FreeNAS 8 is a Fork of FreeNAS 0.7.

"It was reported December 2009 that FreeBSD based development would be halted and put into "maintenance-only mode" with Debian GNU/Linux as the new development target OS. This decision was reversed shortly afterwards, when iXsystems offered to sponsor the further development of FreeNAS. Eventually in 2011, the legacy .7 branch became end-of-life'd under the FreeNAS brand and was rebranded as NAS4Free. While NAS4Free is the direct continuation of the original code under development from 2005 till late 2011, FreeNAS 8.x.y and up is a software fork of the original FreeNAS with a new rewritten code-basis, continuing the old branded name."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeNAS

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Okay, my bad.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• I think the difference is that FreeNAS continues under the same name, but is a complete rewrite from scratch.
    NAS4Free continued to use the original code of the E-O-L-d FreeNAS version 0.7.

Greetings
    David

• Anyway a network with 2000 users using eighter cifs of nfs or even iSCSI has to have not only power but some bonding of cards.
    And i do belive when he was mention freenas was looking at truenas wich iXsystems want to sell to companies ;)

ZFS is a must but demands a huge amount of memory if you want to include all the functions.

It could be nice to see some benchmarks of the system wich the topic starter is choosing

• If you are looking for more enterprise features I believe it will come in time. I don't think we will have zfs though. OMV in time will most likely be able to use BTRFS. The new Freenas project has some sponsors so more money to develop features. I believe Volker made the switch from FreeBSD to Debian because he sees linux as the future. In time I think he will be proven correct and hopefully we see more developers supporting OMV.

• @tekkbebe

When i talk about ZFS it is because of a company solution as scrub of pools checks for errors of data in pool and report.
    ZFS is complex and if you do things wrong can loose a entire pool.

I guess a company try to cover from loosing data more then a home user.

I have both nas4free and omv wich suits me and the data i have only ripped movies of my DVD and bluray collection.

BTRFS i have only been reading about not tested though.

My experiance is that nothing is covering all your needs when it comes to open source , but the majority of the users.
    Solutions wich is open source is huge, but it depends a good community

• Offizieller Beitrag

Interesting... Debian and ZFS officially?? read

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• For your information I found this yesterday : http://shop.tactfactory.com/

This NOT an advertising post : I was searching about an OMV guest in a Proxmox container.

I think Volker may be glad to see an turnkey hardware based on his work.

I also was surprised to see the exact same case as mine :D (a Chenbro one).

About OMV in enterprise - my two cents
    I'd like to say that since I switched my filer to OMV I did not co complain about anything : OMV just works. I was searching a job some month ago and I had thoughts about creating my own business to distribute open sourced solutions. OMV was (and still is) one of my favourite software if I create my business.

I rely on OMV for my personal use, my business and my customers will rely on OMV too !

Volker : I think and I wish OMV will be one of the best open source filer very soon.

Thanks a lot for your great work.

My wiki : http://howto-it.dethegeek.eu.org

= latest setup =
    proxmox VE 6 hypervisor on a J1900 CPU + 8GB RAM
    guests : OpenWRT (VM), OMV 5 (VM), Samba 4 domain controller (LXC)
    OMV alive since 2011 I guess : never crashed, always upgraded : stronger than my hard drives.

Searching for a P2P online storage solution : must be open source, client side encrypted, quota supprt. Tahoe LAFS is the nearest, but is lacking quota. Would be perfect to build a OMV based, anonymous online storage for backups

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know if he would be happy about them changing the OpenMediaVault header to their image. Wonder why they are using proxmox?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I also noticed this name change and thought about signaling it to Volker. I changed my mind after reading on the website they claim to use OMV (and Proxmox).

I think proxmox is dedicated to run other appliances by isolating them each other (exactly as I'm doing with ESXi)

My wiki : http://howto-it.dethegeek.eu.org

= latest setup =
    proxmox VE 6 hypervisor on a J1900 CPU + 8GB RAM
    guests : OpenWRT (VM), OMV 5 (VM), Samba 4 domain controller (LXC)
    OMV alive since 2011 I guess : never crashed, always upgraded : stronger than my hard drives.

Searching for a P2P online storage solution : must be open source, client side encrypted, quota supprt. Tahoe LAFS is the nearest, but is lacking quota. Would be perfect to build a OMV based, anonymous online storage for backups

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think it is great to see that OMV is ready to be installed on commercial NAS systems. I also think it is no problem that the logo has been changed, the code has been designed to be able to be branded. What i do not want to see is that we have to support customers that have bought such a system. Also i am missing a download link to the source code to fulfill the GPL license. Looking more detailed (can't speak french) i found out that they mention OMV, thus it seems to me that they do not fully hide that OMV is used in their product.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!