Unable to boot with 4 HD's in OMV4

• I have been trying to install OMV4 for a couple of days and it has been impossible for me. Let me tell you:

My nas has an intel d525mw board. I have installed OMV4 in a sd card. The installation is correct, but once I connect the 4 hard drives that I have (2 to the native SATA ports of the board and 2 to a PCI card), after going through the screen of the grub, the pc remains dead and does nothing, just black screen.

I've tried with several SATA cables, with another power supply, changing the order of the disks ... and there's no way. With 3 connected disks, it boots perfectly. If I connect the 4, it does not start. I've gone mad.

In the end, I tried again to install OMV3,in case it was a problem to install it on the sd card (I previously had installed it in another HD), and that was not the reason, since everything works perfectly.

Do you know where the problem may come from? I'm disappointing not to be able to use OMV4 and have to stay in 3.

It's not a problem with the SATA cables.
    The power supply is not a problem.
    It's not a problem with hard drives.
    With 3 discs works (whichever they are), with 4 does not.
    In OMV3 the 4 work, in OMV4 no.

I do not know what else to try.

• Offizieller Beitrag

While this may not help, here's a question; are you building OMV on the SD-card, with the 4 drives inserted,, or are you plugging the drives in after the build is complete?

Looking at another angle, have you looked at the BIOS settings of what must be an add-on sata/sas card (for the 2 extra ports)? Who makes the card and what model is it?

• I have installed OMV4

OMV is not an operating system but just a rather huge addition to Debian. OMV4 is based on Debian 9 so in case you struggle with OMV4's own ISO I would suggest trying out a Debian 9 amd64 install (your CPU is 64-bit, right?) and if that boots with 4 disks connected then install OMV in a second step following this guide.

• While this may not help, here's a question; are you building OMV on the SD-card, with the 4 drives inserted,, or are you plugging the drives in after the build is complete?

Looking at another angle, have you looked at the BIOS settings of what must be an add-on sata/sas card (for the 2 extra ports)? Who makes the card and what model is it?

I plugged the drives after OMV installation.

The sata card is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/SODIAL-…21a-chipset/dp/B008SK1AW6

OMV is not an operating system but just a rather huge addition to Debian. OMV4 is based on Debian 9 so in case you struggle with OMV4's own ISO I would suggest trying out a Debian 9 amd64 install (your CPU is 64-bit, right?) and if that boots with 4 disks connected then install OMV in a second step following this guide.

Yes, I installed that way. First debian (minimum installation) and then OMV. After that, connect the 4 disks and...mek! nothing is show in screen after grub...Remove 1 disk (any of them) and everything goes fine.

• First debian (minimum installation) and then OMV. After that, connect the 4 disks and...mek! nothing is show in screen after grub...Remove 1 disk (any of them) and everything goes fine.

Since OMV does not alter anything wrt booting you're most probably just running in 'usual' underpowering issues. Occurs especially in non server systems where staggered spin-up is not available. HDD peak consumption when spinning up is quite high. If these are 3.5" disks you should have an eye on the 12V rail...

• OMV is not an operating system but just a rather huge addition to Debian.

That was the key!

With Debian 9 and all my drives connected, it worked. So I install then OMV and everything is working right now!! :D

I think my problem was that I was installing OMV with just one drive (S.O. drive), and after installation and first boot, when plugging the others 4 drivers was when I wasn't able to boot anymore. Something strange... (grub and device boot priority in motherboard was correctly configured).

So thanks you all!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!