Folder Permissions

• Hi evryone,
    Installed OMV and set up Raid mirror on 3 500gb drives which seems to work well.
    set up a group and put 7 users in(Mum,Dad and 5 children.
    I have 3 folders set up (Business, Personal and Homework)
    now, under the homework folder i've put my five children but i can't seem to work out how to only let them have access to their own folder.
    they all have access to each others and the shared folder permissions section only have the three root folders and not the sub folders.
    is it possible to solve this please?
    many Thanks
    James

• Thanks for your help. I've created extra shares under access rights/shared folders section but all ive managed to do is create extra folders at the root of the drive. these ones work with the permissions but the original ones are still there with access to all.
    did i do something wrong??

• Hi again.
    I've deleted allsub folders so i am left with the original 3 main ones. Business, Personal and Homework.
    I'm trying to set up the 5 childrens folders under the homework folder so they can only access their own folder.
    under shared folders i tell it the address (Homework\[name]) but it comes up with this error message
    The configuration object 'conf.system.sharedfolder' with the filter '{"operator":"and","arg0":{"operator":"stringEquals","arg0":"mntentref","arg1":"6f597f65-8356-4d5b-820f-7f438ce7f947"},"arg1":{"operator":"stringEquals","arg0":"reldirpath","arg1":"Homework\/"}}' is not unique.
    and the details are
    Error #0:OMV\AssertException: The configuration object 'conf.system.sharedfolder' with the filter '{"operator":"and","arg0":{"operator":"stringEquals","arg0":"mntentref","arg1":"6f597f65-8356-4d5b-820f-7f438ce7f947"},"arg1":{"operator":"stringEquals","arg0":"reldirpath","arg1":"Homework\/"}}' is not unique. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/config/database.inc:513Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/sharemgmt.inc(291): OMV\Config\Database->assertIsUniqueByFilter(Object(OMV\Config\ConfigObject), Array)#1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceShareMgmt->set(Array, Array)#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('set', Array, Array)#4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('ShareMgmt', 'set', Array, Array, 1)#5 {main}

Does this mean anything to anyone please.
    I'm sure I'm still thinking the windows way which is causing the problem!!
    Many Thanks,
    James

• Hi Macom,
    Thanks so much for your help. I was using the folder tree rather than typing it in myself??
    folders are done now but still have access to everyone. they are not referenced though but as soon as I set them up in the
    SMB shares the become referenced but the appear at the root of the drive again??
    I must be doing something so simple, wrong!!!
    Thanks so much so far
    James

• Offizieller Beitrag

SMB shares the become referenced but the appear at the root of the drive again??

When you add a share to SMB, make sure to select the folder from the drop down menue using the small arrow pointing down. If you press the small "+" you create a new folder.

• Hi Macom again,
    I'm getting frustrated with this now.
    I have not looked at any videos and have just worked it out by trial and error.
    i will have a look.
    so far i've installed it to replace server 2008 on my own and set up 7 users on one group.
    I've set up the three hard drives on raid using mirror on my own and i've never done that before.
    there is an issue with the updates not working which i dont understand so i may try sudo apt-get update from the command line.
    as regards the folders i am using the drop down arrow. it then puts the same name folder at root and leaves the one in the homework folder.
    the one in the folder everyone has access to but the new one at root will allow the correct permissions?
    i will look at these videos and come back.
    Many, many thanks so far!!
    James

• Offizieller Beitrag

there is an issue with the updates not working

Probably this should be solved first. Which error message do you get?
    Are you using dynamic or static IP?
    Very often the problem is a not properly configured name server in case of static IP?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is a problem with DNS server. The server name cannot be resolved.

The IP address of the router goes in gateway and in DNS server. Also add 1.1.1.1 to DNS server.
    Netmask is 255.255.255.0

Disable IPv6

• That worked a treat but threw up another fault.
    invalid rpc - error report below.

Error #0:OMV\Rpc\Exception: Invalid RPC response. Please check the syslog for more information. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:186Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(95): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('System', 'getInformation', Array, Array, 3)#1 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()#2 {main}

Also - I understand the dns and finally found after scrolling down but what is the 1.1.1.1 for??

• Thanks for explaining that.
    I have news too.
    It's solved!!
    although i did not do anything, I just approached it from a different angle(One of my children's laptops to be precise)
    I deleted all but the three top level folders (Business,Family and Homework)
    I then went into my Linux Mint file explorer and right clicked to create the five folders in the homework folder. no success.
    I then decided to set up the ACL's - Still no success even though I'd ticked for my user to have no access.
    I then thought that maybe my user being the admin that overrules the permissions and acl's even though I'd ticked for mine to have no access.
    So I used my daughters laptop and signed on with her credentials and it works perfect. Access to her folder but not her siblings.
    YYYIIIPPPEEE!!!
    I knew it was going to be something stupid!!!
    Many thanks for your time and help.
    Very much appreciated!!!
    James

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!