Moving files from Freenas to Openmediavault

• Hi

I am very new to OMV, i have been using Freenas but have to decided to move to OMV.

I am trying to find a way to move all my files from freenas to OMV.
    I cant use the same drives as my OMV server doesnt use 3.5inch drives.
    Freenas and OMV are both running on different servers.
    I tried moving them using my Laptop but its very slow as I believe its going through my laptop.
    I have been reading about rsync but im not very versed with that, I am willing to try if its the best option.
    Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I mount SMB or FTP from FreeNas in OMV?

With the remotemount plugin, you can. You just need to make sure you use a user with the proper permissions.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• So I have managed to mount my local smb share on OVM, but I am having issues pulling the data.

Im not sure how to set it up.

I get error messages such as "Host key verification failed." or Im told to change the folder as is doesn't exists

Am I connecting via ssh?
    Do I need a password? as the samba share is open to guests.
    I have tried my ssh account and password, do I need to use a public key?

thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT:

I think I have sorted it, this is what I have done, let my know if there is another or better way.

I had already created a shared folder in the Access Rights Management field with the local disks

I then mounted the remote SMB share using the remote mount plugin
    Then I made that mounted SMB share a Shared Folder in OMV in the Access Rights Management field
    and then I ran a local rsync job between the two shared folders in the Access Rights Management field

It worked but I'm not sure if all those steps were needed.

• Thanks for that info, there is a lot there so i will need to refer to it several times before I fully understand it.

I was wrapt once the files started transferring, it took a bit of playing around as I kept thinking the remote mount wasn't local, but once I realised
    that the mount was local it worked!

So now I'm ready to do the big file shift as I was testing it first encase I messed it up.

The more I'm using OMV I'm seeing how powerful it is. So I am getting rid of the FreeNas server as It seems to be a resource hog. I think that I will set up another OMV as a backup server and try those steps you have suggested

Thanks for your input, your advise has been very beneficial.

• I have been looking at the plugins and they seem really awesome, I have already installed the Plex plugin. I was hoping I could install a Nextcloud instance and I'm guessing I can do that with Docker but have never used Docker before so will have to look into that.
    I will try the VM for tests that's a great idea and still consider myself a beginner as I have no training whatsoever but forums are a big help and also just trying, but I could be moving onto the next step.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!