Execution failed Service nginx

• I get this error after restart of my odroidxu4 with omv4 at:

"Execution failed Service nginx"

sudo systemctl status nginx.service:

nginx.service - A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; vendor preset: en
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-07-17 11:13:57 UTC; 42s ago
    Docs: man:nginx(8)
    Process: 4769 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/nginx -t -q -g daemon on; master_process

Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: Starting A high performance web server
    Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue nginx[4769]: nginx: [alert] could not open error l
    Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue nginx[4769]: 2018/07/17 11:13:57 [emerg] 4769#4769
    Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue nginx[4769]: nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/
    Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: nginx.service: Control process exited,
    Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: Failed to start A high performance web
    Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: nginx.service: Unit entered failed sta
    Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: nginx.service: Failed with result 'exi
    lines 1-14/14 (END)...skipping...
    ● nginx.service - A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-07-17 11:13:57 UTC; 42s ago
    Docs: man:nginx(8)
    Process: 4769 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/nginx -t -q -g daemon on; master_process on; (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: Starting A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server...
    Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue nginx[4769]: nginx: [alert] could not open error log file: open() "/var/log/nginx/error.log" failed (2: No such file or directory)
    Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue nginx[4769]: 2018/07/17 11:13:57 [emerg] 4769#4769: open() "/var/log/nginx/access.log" failed (2: No such file or directory)
    Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue nginx[4769]: nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed
    Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: nginx.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
    Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: Failed to start A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server.
    Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: nginx.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Jul 17 11:13:57 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: nginx.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

It's a problem that's suddenly come - Could it be my emmc card that is having trouble?

• It's a problem that's suddenly come - Could it be my emmc card that is having trouble?

Don't think so. It's most probably related to logs being kept in RAM, an unclean shutdown (?) and now folders/files missing below /var/log/

Can you please try

Code
    mkdir -p /var/log/nginx ; touch /var/log/nginx/access.log ; touch /var/log/nginx/error.log
    reboot

and report back?

• Now I can not access ssh - And get these mails:

Data access error Service omv-engined

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 11:40:41
    Action: alert
    Host: odroidxu4stue
    Description: process with pid 1200 is a zombie

Your faithful employee,
    Monit

Data access error Service php-fpm

Description: process with pid 1136 is a zombie

Your faithful employee,
    Monit

Filesystem flags changed Service filesystem_srv_dev-disk-by-id-mmc-SDW16G_0x906253c0-part3

Description: filesystem flags changed to 0xc00

Your faithful employee,
    Monit

Data access error Service nginx

Description: process with pid 1147 is a zombie

Your faithful employee,
    Monit

:/

I would try to access ssh to run the command you gave me but can not access it: /

• No error messages after it started

Well, then 'known problem' that we tried to address already upstream (in Armbian -- but the new packages will take some time to be available as updates)

You might want to add a cron job calling '/sbin/folder2ram -syncall' at least daily -- see Flash Memory Plugin on SSD

• After I ran the command:

• echo -e '#!/bin/sh\n/sbin/folder2ram -syncall >/dev/null 2>&1' >/etc/cron.daily/folder2ram
    • chmod 755 /etc/cron.daily/folder2ram

Do I get the following error on mail:

touch: cannot touch '/var/log/cron-apt/log': No such file or directory
    /usr/sbin/cron-apt: 147: /usr/sbin/cron-apt: cannot create /var/log/cron-apt/log: Directory nonexistent
    /usr/sbin/cron-apt: 147: /usr/sbin/cron-apt: cannot create /var/log/cron-apt/log: Directory nonexistent

/etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
    error: stat of /var/log/netatalk.log failed: No such file or directory
    run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/logrotate exited with return code 1
    /etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-cron-apt:
    touch: cannot touch '/var/log/cron-apt/log': No such file or directory

thanks for your help :)

• After I ran the command ... I get the following error on mail

I don't believe so. Sounds you activated for whatever reasons mail notifications recently and now you get mails that scare you (like the totally irrelevant thing with /var/log/netatalk.log that should be fixed in OMV since more than half a year but might only affect new installations)

You can do a 'touch /var/log/netatalk.log' to get rid of one of those daily mails and I would recommend to disable those notifications altogether. No idea which of the above stuff could be related to folder2ram ( @ryecoaaron would know better)

• Give me a reasonable explanation of why you think I should turn off email notification from? - It was email notification that told me that my openmediavault interface did not work ...

And no, I have had email notification for the last 3 months and these "error" mail are some that have arrived either after I ran the command you gave me / or update that I made on the box. I am very pleased with openmediavault but tired of you say i just have to turn mail notification from as soon as there are problems.

It's mail notification that helps me keep an eye on whether it's unmounter a disk / or doing other issues like "Execution failed Service nginx" :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

And no, I have had email notification for the last 3 months and these "error" mail are some that have arrived either after I ran the command you gave me / or update that I made on the box. I am very pleased with openmediavault but tired of you say i just have to turn mail notification from as soon as there are problems.

It sounds like the system was powered off without going through the proper shutdown procedure that syncs the logs. This is a weakness of folder2ram (and tmpfs in general). If you create the directories/files that are missing in the email and then do a syncall, it should fix it.

As for being notified about these problems, that is up to you. The only real problem is that logs may or may not be working for some services. This usually doesn't affect functionality except in the nginx case I guess. But as I said, bad things happen when a system isn't shutdown properly.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The only real problem is that logs may or may not be working for some services. This usually doesn't affect functionality except in the nginx case I guess.

In fact those services are affected with OMV: https://github.com/armbian/bui…an/armbian-ramlog#L32-L38 (feel free to add something similar to folder2ram)

• these "error" mail are some that have arrived either after I ran the command you gave me / or update that I made on the box

Most probably they're the result of a crash (unsafe shutdown).

It's mail notification that helps me keep an eye on whether it's unmounter a disk

Sorry, but that's insane. If you have a hardware setup that results in disks unmounting from time to time you need to fix this. Next step is data or even filesystem corruption. Monitoring doesn't fix problems.

• What about the
    ryecoaaron?:

Data access error Service nginx

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 10:53:46
    Description: process with pid 1170 is a zombie

Your faithful employee,
    Monit

Data access error Service php-fpm

Description: process with pid 1150 is a zombie

Your faithful employee,
    Monit

Data access error Service omv-engined

Description: process with pid 1245 is a zombie

Your faithful employee,
    Monit

How should I solve it just got them again after reboot ?

• Tkaiser: Yes, I know it's not optimal but I've bought a hc2 but have to wait for the next month before I can afford to buy a hc2 more and make a stable setup. - It has cost me a lot of money and buy odroidxu4 / cloudshell2 when it does NOT work :( And money does not grow on the trees :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

How should I solve it just got them again after reboot ?

Your system is a mess... Try to start each service and check the status with systemctl status and journalctl -xe. The error messages should tell you more.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Get this one :

UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB DESCRIPTION
    ● quotaon.service loaded failed failed Enable File System Quotas
    ● watchdog.service loaded failed failed watchdog daemon
    ● wd_keepalive.service loaded failed failed watchdog keepalive daemon

Is it usually on an openmediavault installation or is it an error? - I'm not linux geek therefore i ask :)

All the other problems are gone after I made the folders as you said ryecoaaron :) Have this only left if there is an error?

• wd_keepalive.service - watchdog keepalive daemon
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/wd_keepalive.service; static; vendor pres
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2018-07-20 21:14:21 CEST; 1h 8mi
    Process: 2940 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ -z "${watchdog_module}" ] || [ "${watc

Jul 20 21:14:21 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: Starting watchdog keepalive daemon...
    Jul 20 21:14:21 odroidxu4stue sh[2940]: modprobe: FATAL: Module softdog not foun
    Jul 20 21:14:21 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: wd_keepalive.service: Control process
    Jul 20 21:14:21 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: Failed to start watchdog keepalive dae
    Jul 20 21:14:21 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: wd_keepalive.service: Unit entered fai
    Jul 20 21:14:21 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: wd_keepalive.service: Failed with resu
    lines 1-11/11 (END)...skipping...
    ● wd_keepalive.service - watchdog keepalive daemon
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/wd_keepalive.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2018-07-20 21:14:21 CEST; 1h 8min ago
    Process: 2940 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ -z "${watchdog_module}" ] || [ "${watchdog_module}" = "none" ] || /sbin/modprobe $watchdog_module (code=exited, status=1/FAILU

Jul 20 21:14:21 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: Starting watchdog keepalive daemon...
    Jul 20 21:14:21 odroidxu4stue sh[2940]: modprobe: FATAL: Module softdog not found in directory /lib/modules/4.9.61-odroidxu4
    Jul 20 21:14:21 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: wd_keepalive.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
    Jul 20 21:14:21 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: Failed to start watchdog keepalive daemon.
    Jul 20 21:14:21 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: wd_keepalive.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Jul 20 21:14:21 odroidxu4stue systemd[1]: wd_keepalive.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!