• Hey guys, some help would be appreciated :)
    So today I thought I'd check if my server case and motherboard support hot-swappable hdd's. What I wanted to accomplish by this is the knowledge that if I had to put another hard drive in, I wouldn't have to offline the system.
    So I went in, pulled out a hard drive (it's a front loading case with bays), nothing shut down and I did a small victory dance. But then I got an email the nas.

"A DegradedArray event had been detected on md device /dev/md0."

Now I can't seem to fix the issue.
    Under the 'raid management' tab it's showing the array as "Clean, degraded" and here the array details:

Raid Devices : 5
    Total Devices : 4

State : clean, degraded
    Active Devices : 4
    Working Devices : 4
    Failed Devices : 0
    Spare Devices : 0

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
    0 8 16 0 active sync /dev/sdb
    1 0 0 1 removed
    2 8 32 2 active sync /dev/sdc
    3 8 64 3 active sync /dev/sde
    4 8 80 4 active sync /dev/sdf

It's showing the drive as 'removed' yet it's coming up in 'Physical Disks'.

Any ideas?

• There is a "Recover" Button you can try. Maybe you need to wipe your disk (the one which is no more in your raid) or replace it with a new one.
    Then you should be able to recover it. If your wiped / new disk does not show up in the recover dialog, please post the output of

Code
    blkid
    cat /proc/mdstat
  • Thank you for responding. The Recover button was not the way out. The lost disk did not show up in the list of available devices. After some reading and trial-and-error I managed to recover my RAID by re-adding the lost disk with the following command:

Code
    mdadm md0 -a /dev/sdc/

It took quite some time to recover my RAID, but now everything is working fine again. I do not have a clue what caused the disk to drop out of the RAID, so I hope this was a one time incident.

• A disk should not be dropped - usually. Maybe it is damaged? I would test this disk with S.M.A.R.T. for example.

Recovering would have been the next step. But you fixed it by your own - nice! :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!