I have been so angry today cause of OMV

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Do you have unplugged all devices except the device for the OS during installation?
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • If using a USB drive, a name brand drive is recommended. (SanDisk, PNY, Samsung, Corsair, etc.)
      While generic USB drives may test error free, and work, they may cause problems over time.

Before using any USB drive, reformat it with SDFormatter and test it with h2testw1.4 (If errors are detected, don't use it. Buy a new one.)

If possible, burn the OMV ISO and use a CD-Rom disk as an installation source. Problems can occur when using a USB drive as the software source, and installing to a 2nd USB drive.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey ().

• flmaxey wrote:

If using a USB drive, a name brand drive is highly recommended. (SanDisk, PNY, Samsung, Corsair, etc.)
      Buying 'brands' is similar to buying counterfeit products (since fraudsters love brands for a reason). A simple web search for 'fake sandisk usb flash drive' should illustrate the problem.
      • Only buy stuff from sellers that provide a 'no questions asked' return/refund policy
      • and immediately test flash products with either f3 or h2testw after purchase.
      If they're fake you'll have no problems to get a refund. Never ever buy anything with flash memory from eBay, Aliexpress, etc. -- it's the sales channel that matters not what fraudsters print on the packaging.

BTW: there are only a few companies on this planet running their own NAND flash fabs, producing their own flash controllers and assembling this stuff to retail products. AFAIK neither PNY nor Corsair are amongst them (and definitely not Kingston you recommended in the past)
    • tkaiser wrote:

Buying 'brands' is similar to buying counterfeit products (since fraudsters love brands for a reason). A simple web search for 'fake sandisk usb flash drive' should illustrate the problem.
      • Only buy stuff from sellers that provide a 'no questions asked' return/refund policy
      • and immediately test flash products with either f3 or h2testw after purchase.
      If they're fake you'll have no problems to get a refund. Never ever buy anything with flash memory from eBay, Aliexpress, etc. -- it's the sales channel that matters not what fraudsters print on the packaging.

BTW: there are only a few companies on this planet running their own NAND flash fabs, producing their own flash controllers and assembling this stuff to retail products. AFAIK neither PNY nor Corsair are amongst them (and definitely not Kingston you recommended in the past)
      Testing a USB drive covers all that really matters in the above so, rather than go into such granular detail with a new user, why don't we let it go at that?
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

The post was edited 3 times, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• Users Online 1

1 Guest