Raid Mirror

• Hi everyone,
    New to OMV and Raid.
    Never had one before so please - go easy on me.
    Just a few questions please?
    1 - If the system boot disk fails can I just reinstall and the 3 disk raid will still be there and recognised?
    2 - If one of the raid disks fail what happens. can i still access my data and do i just fit a new one and it syncs it for me?
    3 - when my 3 500gb hdd have run out of space can i increase to a 1tb or 2tb system easily?
    Many Thanks
    James

• Offizieller Beitrag

1 - yes
    2 - most of the time
    3 - You can fail one drive at a time and replace with a larger drive then resync for each drive. After all drives are replaced, you could grow the filesystem.

But... Ask yourself why you want raid. It isn't backup and only gives you redundancy. I recommend to most people who want a mirror to use rsync instead since most people don't need realtime mirroring. If you are just trying to pool the drives, the unionfilesystem plugin is a good option. If you still want some redundancy, use snapraid as well.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your answers.
    I was on the assumption that if one drive failed you had a fail safe so in a way its backed up??
    I am also planning to use duplicati to back up to the cloud??
    I don't understand what redundancy means in this situation??
    If not a backup what is the point of a mirror(realtime mirroring)
    Is rsync a software for something??
    sorry for all the questions.
    Just trying to learn as my server 2008 crashed which killed one of the data drives and I dont want that again.
    Unfortunately learning from mistakes
    Many thanks for your help - Very much appreciated!!
    James

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was on the assumption that if one drive failed you had a fail safe so in a way its backed up??

It is safe if one drive fails BUT if you delete a file accidentally, it is gone on both drives instantly. So, that is why it is not backup.

I don't understand what redundancy means in this situation??

Redundancy is that you system can keep running if one drive fails. This is usually not needed by home users. If you were running a scheduled rsync (easy to do from web interface), then you would still have access to the files on the second drive.

Is rsync a software for something??

rsync is a command on Linux that syncs (copies and optionallly deletes) directories/files to another location with various options. It works very well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I see - I run a business from home and need certain files to complete invoices, send them and type up quotes so I need it all the time so I'm guessing the RAID Mirror is a good option. However, I do have other files like photos, music and video as well as pdf's which needs to be backed up.
    So I was thinking that using duplicati was a good option with it stored off site in the cloud. The RAID Mirror is three 500gb by the way.
    The rsync sounds good but I assume I would need another backup sauce for that? That would complete the 3-2-1 though.
    So much to think about and being new to linux makes it even more difficult.
    I've ditched Microsoft completely and am now running Linux Mint on my Laptop(Love it so far) And the omv is so much faster than Server 2008(Same computer!!)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I see - I run a business from home and need certain files to complete invoices, send them and type up quotes so I need it all the time so I'm guessing the RAID Mirror is a good option.

I don't use a mirror array anywhere. I think rsync/rsnapshot is better.

The rsync sounds good but I assume I would need another backup sauce for that?

If you rsnapshot (uses rsync) from one drive to another, you would have the source plus a number of hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly copies on the other drive (that is how rsnapshot works). That is what I use. Then you could use duplicati to backup to the cloud and use the usbbackup plugin to sync the primary and rsnapshot files to a portable hard drive to store offsite.

• So you are suggesting that the 3 x 500gb drives i have set up as a mirror raid would be better used as backups still in the same tower
    using rsnapshot which can be scheduled to pretty much anything? sounds like a good idea? out of curiosity - whats the point of a raid system.
    I did a job two years ago for a network admin guy and he sung there praises. he was a top manager guy for some company that he maintained all their computers and networks over 6 offices in the uk. He's garage was full or server cabinets and raid systems.
    I will look up rsnapshot - is it easy to change the hdd arrangement with out losing my currant data?

Also can I point out that my server is not being used as a backup.
    the data on it is the primary copy used and shared between 7 computers.

• out of curiosity - whats the point of a raid system

Availability or 'business continuity'. A drive fails but there's no business disruption.

The whole RAID concept is BS if you don't use server grade hardware (UPS included) and do monitoring. In other words: In home/SOHO environments RAID just provides better feelings for exactly no reason ('I did something wrt redundancy' -- worthless).

Better forget about availability and care about data protection.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also can I point out that my server is not being used as a backup.
    the data on it is the primary copy used and shared between 7 computers.

Here is what I think you should do (obviously it is generic) but should work for most home/small business setups:

Drive #1 - primary copy of files - shared via samba as SHARE1
    Drive #2 - secondary copy that is sync'd by rsync (could be sync'd every minute if you need it) - shared via samba as SHARE2 and set to read only
    Drive #3 - rsnapshot copy sync'd from drive #1 with hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly syncs - shared via samba as ARCHIVE and set to read only

Users use share1 normally. If that drive fails, login to the web interface and change SHARE2 in samba to read write. Tell users to use SHARE2. Depending on when someone notices, very little downtime to write - no downtime to read.

Archive share provides access to all backups. Offsite backups done as I mentioned in previous post.

• Availability or 'business continuity'. A drive fails but there's no business disruption.

The whole RAID concept is BS if you don't use server grade hardware (UPS included) and do monitoring. In other words: In home/SOHO environments RAID just provides better feelings for exactly no reason ('I did something wrt redundancy' -- worthless).

Better forget about availability and care about data protection.

thanks for clearing that up - yes my system is an old pc tower so defo not proper server grade hardware.
    I think I'm looking at what ryecoaaron has suggested.
    Many thanks

That looks and sounds like a brilliant idea especially learning now that Raid is useless on non server grade stuff!
    Sounds a very clever idea.
    Lots more questions now though?
    1 - Can I use one of the raid disks or do I need to copy the data elsewhere, kill the raid, reformat and copy data back?
    2 - rsnapshot and rsync look like command line? Are they easy set up and maintain?
    3 - I think you are saying that duplicati can copy the archive drive(#3)??

Thanks so much for your time so far.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1 - What kind of raid is it? Do you have backup?

2 - They are but there are also plugins for both. rsync is part of OMV. rsnapshot is a plugin in omv-extras that can be installed once you install omv-extras.

3 - It might be able to. I don't know how duplicati works with hard links that rsnapshot uses.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It was called a RAID Mirror using three 500gb HDDs

So, it is a three way mirror (double redundancy). You could fail one of them and wipe/format it. Then you could sync from the array but if it is only 8GB, I wouldn't go through the trouble. I would backup the data, wipe all three drives in the Physical Disks tab, and format all three ext4 in the Filesystems tab. Then we can go from there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

3 - I think you are saying that duplicati can copy the archive drive(#3)??

Duplicati can be configured to keep old backups. So you can just backup the drive(#1) and Duplicati will keep the history for you.

3 - It might be able to. I don't know how duplicati works with hard links that rsnapshot uses.

from Duplicati manual:

hardlink-policy
    --hardlink-policy = All
    Use this option to handle hardlinks (only works on Linux/OSX). The "first" option will
    record a hardlink ID for each hardlink to avoid storing hardlinked paths multiple times.
    The option "all" will ignore hardlink information, and treat each hardlink as a unique path.
    The option "none" will ignore all hardlinks with more than one link.

• Hallo!

So i had a 1tb wd red with my family photos...it was on a xpnology but xpnology just died...i look and find openmediavault which works fine but now i bought another wd red 1 tb and i want to add it in raid 1.
    I am not ok with computers...it took me a week to install and set up openmediavault...can somebody tell me step by step how to add my new disk and get raid 1 with my old disk?
    Thank you very much!

• Hi Ryecoaaron,
    Sorry, all on hold. Had a wishbone and driveshaft to fix on my wife's car!
    Right, RAID is now gone and I have the three HDDs set up as you suggested.
    Everything is copied back to sharedrive 1 and rsync is now installed.
    Is there any walkthrough's or manuals on rsync as I'm stuck.
    I've opened a module on sharedrive 2 but everytime i try and set up a job it does nothing when I press the save button??

• Offizieller Beitrag

Everything is copied back to sharedrive 1 and rsync is now installed.
    Is there any walkthrough's or manuals on rsync as I'm stuck.
    I've opened a module on sharedrive 2 but everytime i try and set up a job it does nothing when I press the save button??

If you are rsyncing to another share on the same server, you don't need a module. Just an rsync job is all you need.

• Hi again,
    I've deleted the module thanks and worked out why it would not save a job.
    I do not understand the N days bit and had not completed the information correctly.
    How do I get it to sync every day at 3 in the morning.
    I've done o for minutes
    03 for hours
    then on month i've put 1 as it required a number and I've checked the every N day of the month.
    Will this do everyday?

• Offizieller Beitrag

For 3am everyday, you want 0 in the minute box, 3 in the hour box, and star ( * ) in the other boxes with none of the "Every" sliders enabled (all should be gray).

• For 3am everyday, you want 0 in the minute box, 3 in the hour box, and star ( * ) in the other boxes with none of the "Every" sliders enabled (all should be gray).

Hiya,
    all done and job run so that I have a backup asap.
    Amazed at how quick it was!!
    Is there a way of testing or seeing that the job has run successfully like a system log or something.
    Just got the Rsnaphot to the backup drive now.
    I see your in Wisconsin - Bit of a time difference - I'm in Kent in England.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!