Problem partition

• Hello, I'm new to this forum, so if I'm doing something wrong, sorry.
    Today I decided to install OMV 4.1.3 in an old PC that I had at home, the installation ends without problems, I try to connect from browser to IP and everything works perfectly.
    I had read that the installer dedicated all the hard disk for OMV, but there was a solution: reduce the partition with Gparted, here, I did so, I reduce the partition of OMV to 10GB and the remaining I have formatted in EXT4 , restart the PC and OMV no longer starts.
    It creates problems with the Swap, then comes out a "Bus error" ...
    I have reinstalled everything, but problems still arise.
    I also tried to put the new partition that I created at the end: I deleted the extended partition, then the partition inside (swap), so that my partition went to the end, because if not gparted put me my partition before swapping and seeing the error codes coming out, I thought that was the problem.
    At the end of it all, restart and the problems were still there ...
    Any solution?

Thanks so much.

PS: Sorry if I was wrong to write, but I'm Italian.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV was designed to operate with two drives. One is a boot drive for the OS, and the other is for data. As you get into it, especially when it comes to backup, you'll begin to understand that 2 separate drives is good for Servers and NAS systems.

Get a 16GB USB drive (a good one, Samsung, SanDisk, PNY, etc.) and install OMV on it. They're not expensive.
    After that, you'll have the USB drive for booting and your spinning hard drive for your data. OMV will work as designed.

If you can read English (sorry, there's no Italian version) this guide will help you with a USB drive install, along with installing a needed plugin for USB drives - the flash memory plugin.

• Hello, I thought about it myself last night to use a pendrive for OMV and the HDD for data.
    However, this morning in the virtual machine I tried to start the FTP server included in OMV, the moment I go to login denies me access.
    In the log it says "Maximum login attempts (1) exceeded, connection refused"
    Why?
    Thanks again for the answer!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't help you with FTP because I've never set up an FTP server. It's just an opinion, but I see the FTP protocol as insecure, out of date, excessive overhead - designed for days when connections were poor, etc. But, I'll acknowledge that you might have good reasons for setting an FTP server up.

If you look under Services, FTP, in the Settings Tab, you can change the max logon attempts number to 100 if you like. :)

Repost on the forum (or take a look at the posts) under Configuration, FTP

• Offizieller Beitrag

Once you get some of the configuration details worked out, some time is involved - there's no way around that, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

In the bottom line, you're in the right place. OMV is a great NAS solution.

• Hello, for now I'm really happy with openmediavault, I managed to configure FTP, SMB, VPN, Plex, VirtualBox with some problems but fortunately, solved.
    Thanks also to the forum that really helped me to solve the problems that I found.
    Last year I had tried in the OMV virtual machine but unfortunately I had too many problems, even the GUI was damaged, I had only done the updates and after the restart I could not connect to the GUI.
    For the time being big problems, I have not had any, we hope it will be so forever.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For the time being big problems, I have not had any, we hope it will be so forever.

If you use a USB drive for the boot drive, you'll find that they're very easy to clone. When your server is fully configured, with clones of your boot drive and healthy hardware, you'll be set for a long time.

• If you use a USB drive for the boot drive, you'll find that they're very easy to clone. When your server is fully configured, with clones of your boot drive and healthy hardware, you'll be set for a long time.

Hello, I ordered a 16gb usb 3.0 pedrive yesterday.
    For the cloning how can I do?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello, I ordered a 16gb usb 3.0 pedrive yesterday.For the cloning how can I do?

There's a section in this guide that covers cloning flash boot drives, and other backup topics.

(Regrets, the guide is only in English.)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!