Can't create device in filesystem. Disk disappears after the end of the formatting process

• In the filesystem section, I choose create, I select the disk, I give it a label, I select ext4 and then I hit "ok"

The system then goes through the whole process of creating the filesystem. As soon as the dialog box says "the file system creation has completed successfully" the disk listed in the main part of the screen that had a status of "initializing" the whole time suddenly disappears.

I've tried this process with two different hard drives as well as the hard drives attached via usb and directly connected to my odroidxu4. Same result each time.

Any ideas why this is happening or more importantly, and ideas on what I can try to fix this problem?

• Here is the indicator from dmesg:

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• I have the same problem, however, secure wipe didn't solve it.
    I'm trying hard to really like OMV.
    My first experience was excellent.
    My second experience taught me there is a bug in the program that causes the following type of error messages to appear when using the web GUI and it interferes with being able to properly save configurations, which I have experienced.

Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatustVWtdc' (size=0).
    Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusVlY9Es' (size=0).
    Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusenQluz' (size=0).
    Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatus2iIpP7' (size=0).
    Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatus8sNMLb' (size=0).
    Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusNwTjxS' (size=0).

Although I read a very complex method of 'correcting' this issue, I am unwilling to modify the OMV source code.
    I can't help but wonder why, if this is actually a problem, it hasn't been fixed in the latest release.

Currently, I am trying to assist my church academy by providing a server that can archive CCTV footage.
    OMV seems the perfect solution.
    A couple of 2TB drives and a scavanged pile of PC parts later, & I think I've got a pretty good starting system.
    If it works, I can expand drives etc. later.

The install of OMV was straightforward.
    There is an 80GB hard drive dedicated to OMV.
    There are two, 2TB drives which I hope to use mirrored for archiving, heretofore called A & B.

I began by wiping A and then B
    Next, I created file system on A.
    The file system appears on the list while its formatting, but then disappears as soon as its announces complete.
    I created file system on B.
    Same result.
    Moved to RAID management to find no drives available.
    Returned to DISKS, wiped using secure mode until about 10GBs was completed on both A and B.
    The file system appears on the list while its formatting, but then disappears as soon as its announces complete.
    Ditto for B.

All through the process I get the above listed Failed to read... error messages.

I read in the forums that having the file system disappear is also a common problem and has to do with drives not being properly formatted/cleaned/etc.
    So, OMV cannot properly clean/prepare a drive for its own use and other methods must be employed?

I'm now looking into something called the dd command to run from the command line...

Is there not a better way?

Can any of the gurus in OMV give me some help?

Thanks in advance.

...so I didn't use the dd command yet...instead i went back to the forums and read that I should do updates.
    I followed the directions to the letter, but there are many updates to choose from and no indication of which are needed for basics and which are just options...so I did them all.
    It was successful on some of the updates, others failed due to a variety of errors, mostly what appeared to be incompatibility, but it finished.
    Next, I returned to...
    ...wiping A and then B
    I created file system on B.
    Same result.
    One improvement, the Failed to read... error messages have disappeared!

Still no usable system.

Now, I'm going back to trying to fix 'OMV isn't properly updated' by downloading the newest version from OMV website, making a DVD, and starting from scratch...again...
    Did I mention that I've started over to insure no steps were missed 2-3 times?

Thanks again, I'll come back and update when I can...

Im back. The latest ISO image resulted in much the same experience. The Failed to read... errors have returned.
    AND the drive disappears right after the format completes.
    Yep, I did a quick and a secure wipe, although I stop the secure wipe after it reports that its covered the first 10gbs, I figure that should take out all the front end stuff and allow what I was taught to call a low level format. Regardless, it didn't work.
    I guess I'm back into a holding pattern waiting for some assist from the forum while I read up on the dd command.

I could not login to the CLI because it didn't respond to the login and password setup in the installation process. I already understood that there were two logins, one for web GUI and one for CLI, but I gave them the same login so I wouldn't have to remember so much...until I got the system up and running anyway. I eventually figured out that the login for the CLI is NOT admin ever, but root. That plus the password I created got me to the CLI.
    I read on this web site:
    https://www.digitalocean.com/c…-storage-devices-in-linux
    how to manually find, partition, & format my two hard drives.
    They still do not show up under the web GUI under File Systems, but they do under RAID management and I successfully created a mirror RAID set...but the drives still don't show up as 'mounted'.
    This will probably bite me later, but for now I'm pretty happy with some success.

So, under file systems I now have a RAID drive set which it wants to format, so although I'm a little nervous about this, because it has failed every single time as an earlier step, I let it format.
    All the little Failed to read... errors are back, & I have no faith it will be successful...
    I just formatted the drives successfully, so why format again? I used GPT by the way.

It failed. Worked through to the end, then disappeared.
    I'm going to see if thats actually true by moving data to/from using the CLI.
    Frustrating.
    OK, it looks like the work is done, OMV just doesn't know it. Does this mystery file called fstab somehow tell OMV where/what the drives are? I see that is can control mounting.
    When I try the following command:
    mount /dev/md0
    I get:
    Can't find /dev/md0 in /etc/fstab

I can see the drive(s) as a Raid1.
    It is partitioned as GPT
    I realized that I have tried to format it unsuccessfully in OMV, but not using the CLI.
    I used:
    mkfs.ext4 -L CCTV /dev/md0
    and it kicked back with/dev/md0 contains a zfs_member file system, (which it may or may not, regardless I WANT TO REPURPOSE IT), so I said yes to proceed.
    It appeared to do something.

I just found something interesting.
    Under RAID management, it indicates:

clean, resyncing (42.2% 823147/1953383488)
    finish=109.7min speed=170584K/sec

So some syncing process is taking place that should end in about 2 hours and MAYBE the drive will show up and can be mounted????????
    Dang. Why won't the install go like the directions say it should.
    I'm done for now, maybe in the morning I'll do some more.
    I've got hours in this 'simple' OMV install simply because it will not wipe, partition, & format its own drives.
    Unbelievable.
    The two hour wait resulted in no progress whatsoever.
    Same problems.
    I've just used the dd command to destroy the first 100gbs of data, hoping to blow away whatever it is that stops the formatting.
    Since I can't edit the fstab file from the command line in OMV, and I've googled it, gedit isn't installed for example, the forums have no results to 'edit fstab' other than to explain what to do once you're already editing, assuming that everyone must know how to open a file and edit it...
    Its probably best that I didn't get it open for editing, I wouldn't know how to modify it properly without some assistance anyway...
    So
    The first format didn't work.
    Failed to read... errors are back.
    Drive disappears after format finishes.

and, not a single response to my details and requests for help.

Sadly, I'm looking for another solution.

My system:
    AS Rock E350M1 Motherboard
    4Gb x 2 DDR3 G.Skill ram
    2x 2TB hard drive, mirror RAID
    1x 160Gb hard drive, Open Media Vault OS

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von KingEdward37 () aus folgendem Grund: Updating...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you watch any of the videos on setup? Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

I read in the forums that having the file system disappear is also a common problem and has to do with drives not being properly formatted/cleaned/etc.
    So, OMV cannot properly clean/prepare a drive for its own use and other methods must be employed?

No, this is not a common problem. It might disappear for one refresh as it is transistioning but it should come back.

You don't format the drives if you want to use raid. I recommend not using raid in your case though.

So some syncing process is taking place that should end in about 2 hours and MAYBE the drive will show up and can be mounted????????

You still need to create a filesystem on the array.

I've got hours in this 'simple' OMV install simply because it will not wipe, partition, & format its own drives.

Did you secure wipe the drives in the physical disks tab before starting all of this? It doesn't look like it since you still have a zfs signature on the drives. If OMV was that badly broken, no one would use it.

and, not a single response to my details and requests for help.

How fast do you expect free help to be? In my experience, people do avoid super long posts.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!