Trouble Connecting drive with data

• OMV 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Trouble Connecting drive with data

Hello,

I am trying to mount USB hard drive with data on it without loosing this data. The drive was previously working well as a USB drive with Windows 10. OMV asks me to reformat the drive when I go to create a new file system. The hardware shows up under "Disks" list, but I am hesitant to "wipe" the drive. Will this delete the data?

Also, when I connect the drive back to windows, it also asks me to reformat the drive. Clearly OMV has changed some of the settings, but I hope the data is still there. Is there any way I can mount this drive, or get drive working on windows again?

Thank you!
    • KeithM wrote:

I am hesitant to "wipe" the drive. Will this delete the data?
      YES. Do NOT wipe the drive if you want to keep the data on it.

KeithM wrote:

Clearly OMV has changed some of the settings
      Don't think so, unless you told it to do so.

KeithM wrote:

Is there any way I can mount this drive, or get drive working on windows again?
      In some cases when there were problems with a drive I got such a message from Windows. But if I said NOI could still access the data. Have you tried? You could also try chkdsk
      neosmart.net/wiki/chkdsk/

In OMV you would go to fielsystem. The filesystem on the drive should show up and you should be able to mount the drive using the "mount" button.
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • Thanks Macom.

The "Mount" option in OMV is grayed out and cannot be selected. I connected the drive back to windows via USB and received the error message that the drive "does not contain a recognized file system and may have been corrupted." This drive worked with windows previously, so something must have changed between then and now.

Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed? Does anybody offer live tech support for OMV?
    • KeithM wrote:

No, I'm fiarly certain I did not wipe the drive. If anything, I may have "deleted" the drive when I went to remove a test thumb drive. Still, I'm not sure what went wrong or how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      As @macom has said OMV will automatically display the drives file system but my guess here is that the file system has become corrupt so you'll need to use Windows to see if it's repairable.
      If you google 'corrupt file system' one of the hits is here which points to some free tools that may be helpful, personally I use Spinrite and have done for may years. Once the drive is plugged into your Windows use disk manager this will give some information, another tool is Hirens BootCD PE. You may find that whilst the drive is 'usable' the data maybe unrecoverable.