Docker Plugin breaks OMV 4 RaspberryPi Image

• I have come across a interesting problem with the docker plugin on OMV4 (RaspberryPi Image)
    I have tried several time to activate the docker plugin OMV-Extras --> PlugIns (DockerGUI) and I receive a series of errors that seem to break OMV

I suspect it maybe to do with the installation of "upgrades" / "updates" causing some in compatibility with the docker GUI

Question: ?(
    Has anyone come across a incompatibility of OMV4 & the docker plugin?
    If so how is this best over come?

• OK. I went back and resinstalled following the instructions on the sourceforge website. Specifically I did not extract the imag and then burn but used the procedure recomended

"Do not decompress but write the .img.xz image in a single step using Etcherto SD card: https://etcher.io"

Still a few issues, see below, but managed to install a docker container and run a plex server...

• Yeah, I had a go at a fresh vanilla install also and as far as I could see when nothing is updated docker & the docker GUI seems to install as expected, but it was the updates / upgrades (via terminal or the OMV GUI) that seemed to break things.

{There is the school of thought that if it works when not upgraded, then don't upgrade but it feels a little off from a security perspective}

I'm guessing its some incompatibility between versions but thats just a wild guesses (it also has a permissions feel to it).

I'm hoping someone with a clear understanding of dockers place in OMV may have come across this issue and recommend a way to iron it out

• Offizieller Beitrag

On a week old RPi install, I updated it to the latest and then was able to install the docker plugin with no issues.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Interesting.... It seems to be a some what inconsistent problem then. ?(

I have spun up several OMV4 copies trying to get this to work. One installed Docker & the GUI perfectly but I flattened it because I really just set it up as a test and never intended to have it as a final setup but subsequent copies have been really temperamental.

Perhaps something has changed in my setup procedure but I can't for the life of me think of what other than possibly updates or sequence of operations.

Software:
    OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus.img.xz

Hardware:
    RPi2
    External Drive USB

• Offizieller Beitrag

I used the same RPi image. I can try again later but if the image is written with etcher, booted and left alone for 20+ minutes, fully updated and rebooted, enable the docker repo, and then install the plugin, I'm not sure how that wouldn't work.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Zitat von ryecoaaron

I'm not sure how that wouldn't work.

... I'm not either!! It all seems so straight forward but still something is coming unstuck.

I also used etcher, and allowed the Pi long enough for the first run to sort its self out.

Where you updating via the OMV GUI (updates section) or the command line (Apt-get update / upgrade)?

Do you know if there is any specific User permissions that need to be set to allow the upgrades? Sudo-ers group / admin etc (my guess is the GUI users the admin user & thus has appropriate permissions)

Quick Test Reinstall Docker Test:
    Enable docker Repo via OMV-extras tab GUI
    Check for repo updates via GUI
    Enable docker plugin via gui

Install Log Shows Errors below:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Where you updating via the OMV GUI (updates section) or the command line (Apt-get update / upgrade)?

They do the same thing.

Do you know if there is any specific User permissions that need to be set to allow the upgrades? Sudo-ers group / admin etc (my guess is the GUI users the admin user & thus has appropriate permissions)

Nope. You can't see the user doing the upgrades in the web interface.

The error you are geting seems to be caused by the docker package itself. The plugin fails to install properly because the docker-ce package isn't installed properly. Can you run journalctl -xe to see why docker can't start?

• Sorry about the slow reply, I have been away for a bit and haven't had a chance to get back to this.

Attempted to again uninstall Docker Via the GUI and I get the following error:

Not sure exactly what you are looking for with the journalctl -xe ? I can't obviously see errors relating to docker and I'm having difficulty posting to the forum due to a 10,000 character limit.

Please advise and I will try to find the specific relevant sections of the journal

Thanks for the efforts thus far, I would like to find a way to sort this out

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure exactly what you are looking for with the journalctl -xe ?

An error related to why docker won't start.

Thanks for the efforts thus far, I would like to find a way to sort this out

A better board would help :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!