Unable to Configure Beyond First User

• Hi there!

I am new to OpenMediaVault, but there is so much help that install and (most) configuration was a breeze.

The only problem I am having is with setting up users. Seems like it should be pretty intuitive: Access Rights Manager --> User --> Add. Then give them a name and password. This works flawlessly for only the first user I make. I create the first user in the GUI, login using that user credential on my computer, and away we go. If I delete that first user, and create another, I cannot use the new user to login.

I have tried all the basics to solve this: removing users, rebooting, clean installs, etc. No luck.

The strangest part is, if I make my first user, delete it, then add it back, everything works fine. But again, it only works for the very first user I create. After the first user, I only get an error which says I do not have permission to access.

I cannot even manually map to the network drive.

All help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Best,
    userstruggle

• Offizieller Beitrag

I cannot use the new user to login.

Login to what?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I cannot login through file explorer on Windows.

I create a user and access the shared folder in file explorer (which requires the login). If I delete the user I created, then create a new one, I cannot login through file explorer to reach it.

I am using SMB/CIFS. Do I have to add the user to a particular group?

• So now I am getting an even stranger phenomenon.

I created a new user. Logged in as the user from file explorer to access the shared file. Closed file explorer. Deleted the user from the OMV GUI. I then used file explorer to navigate back to the shared folder. It gave me access without a prompt to login. So now it seems completely unsecured...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do I have to add the user to a particular group?

No. The user is automatically added to the users group. Are you giving the user privileges to the shared folder?

I created a new user. Logged in as the user from file explorer to access the shared file. Closed file explorer. Deleted the user from the OMV GUI. I then used file explorer to navigate back to the shared folder. It gave me access without a prompt to login. So now it seems completely unsecured...

What options are you using when you create the smb share? Have you watched the videos here - Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced? There is a file sharing setup video.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Yes. I am giving the user privileges to the shared folder. But if I create a new user (give it privileges), and delete the first user I created, then I cannot access the folder.

Those videos are great! Unfortunately, his solution to "Access denied" is to allow Guests. But I want to configure users.

So I have a configured user, with read/write permissions to my shared folder. If I navigate to the folder, and attempt to login, it says "access denied" just like in his video. Do I have to allow guests? Can security not be configured from the GUI?

• Offizieller Beitrag

No you shouldn't have to allow guests.

What are the usernames in question?
    What is the output of cat /etc/samba/smb.conf?

• For now I am just making fake usernames: the current one is "whatever"

Here is the output.

• Alright, another development. I decided to grant guest access just to get this up and running. When I do that, I can access the shared folder from my computer. However my coworker cannot.

I double checked his connection to the same IP and workgroup. When he tried to reach it through file explorer, he was not even asked to login. He just got rejected...

Not sure if that extra detail helps

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not sure. I haven't had a chance to try to replicate this. I use samba a lot with plenty of users and haven't run into this though. Did the folders have existing data in them before creating the share?

• Offizieller Beitrag

There were no existing users. This was a clean install.

Not existing users... Existing data on the drives?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Everything is brand new.

Can you list the order (not exact details) of how you setup everything including installation? I want to try to recreate but what I am doing is not recreating the issue.

• Yep!

Write OMV image to SD card
    Insert SD card and power up
    Login through the Web GUI
    Create a shared folder
    Turn on SMB/CIFS
    Add a "Shares" pointed to the created shared folder (with Guests set to No)
    Add a user
    Add another user
    Delete the first user
    Grant the second user access to the Shared folder

From a windows machine, if I try to access the folder, it will ask me to login. When I put in the user name and password for the second user, it denies access.

I tested this again (without doing a full install). I have several folder which I have set to public access. I created a new folder which did not have public access. I made a user, and granted the user access to the folder. When I tried to access ANY of my folders (even the ones without security) I was denied access. I deleted the user, deleted the folder with the security, and everything was fine and dandy again. Very very strange

Thank you so much for your help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried this and my second user was able to access the share. So, I created a third user and deleted the second user and was not able to access the share. Knowing windows, I figured it was caching the second users credentials when trying to connect. I rebooted the windows machine and was able to connect to the share with the third user. This tells me OMV is creating the right config.

• IT WORKS!!!

I created a user then logged in to access the share.
    Deleted the user and attempted to access the share. It failed (which is good in this case).
    Created a new user and attempted to access the share. It failed (as expected).
    Restarted the computer and attempted to access the share. Logged in with the new credentials and SUCCESS!

Thank you SO much ryecoaaron! Looks like your website is omv-extras.org. I will be making a donation.

Thank you again!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!