My new NAS

• Hi everybody,
    I'm glad I found OMV. I've been trying to find a dead simple stable, non-Windows, solution to share disks. I tried FreeNAS and Rockstor and for different reasons, they didn't work for me.
    Here is my hardware.
    Old eBay motherboard with 2 Xeon X5570 and 40GB RAM.
    4 Hard drives in a RAID 10 array using an LSI controller with cache and battery.
    Single SATA HDD as backup drive.
    4 SSD's in another RAID 5 array.
    Mellanox 10G NIC's in peer arrangement.

I'm using this as a NAS for my 2 node vSphere cluster, but wanted to utilize additional resources of the server as a lab, so I built it as an ESXi host and created a VM for OMV and did a passthrough to the NIC's and RAID controller. I got the idea from reading this block post.

ZFS was not an option for me so FreeNAS was a non-starter, and Rockstor's insistence that everything had to be BTRFS and the fact that they are trying to get money out of you turned me off to them.

Things I like about OMV:

• Debian - I don't understand some of folks' distribution choice for NAS software, but hey, i'm not a developer
    • Simple straightforward and uncomplicated - If I wanted to fiddle around with stuff, I'd have just installed Vanilla CentOS and managed from Command line.

Things I don't like:

• So far, I haven't seen a way to back up the config. Not really too much of a worry as I have other ways.
    • The Black and Red "Alert Bar". Fat-fingering my password is not a red-alert.

Thats it. Let me know what you think.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So far, I haven't seen a way to back up the config. Not really too much of a worry as I have other ways.

There isn't a way, yet. I just backup the entire OS partition. OMV 5 might have a way.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!