Best backup solution for OMV 4?

• What is the best backup (docker or plugin) I can use to achieve a full image backup/snapshot of my OMV install? Which one do you feel is easiest to use? My plan is to get OMV4 installed and in a stable state with plex, hanbrake, SMB share, shellinabox, etc..plus whatever backup solution I end up going with....and then immediately back it all up so that I can recover perfectly to that state if/WHEN things go sideways with docker/plugins. Ideally, I would like the program to just create a backup in the form of an .iso file that I can access over a SMB share, then burn that to a USB drive using Rufus or whatever. That way I can just throw that USB on my OMV server and have it flash/revert my OS drive to the backup, without having to go through the process of reinstalling OMV, then omvextras, then docker, etc etc. Or if there is a different, but still easy, stable, reliable way of accomplishing this, I'm all ears. What are your preferences for backing up OMV?

TL;DR:

• Need full image backup solution (.ISO, etc) so I can completely recover my OMV without having to go THROUGH OMV itself to backup (in case it breaks and I can no longer access OMV or it's backup plugin)... but open to all suggestions
    • Turn key, quick, and easy to use/reliable are huge pluses! I'm NOT an avid Linux user at all, CLI is still very new to me

My Setup:

• OMV 4
    • AMD 8350 8 Core Processor
    • 32GB DDR3 Ram

HDD's:

• 128GB SSD - OS Drive
    • 3x 10TB Ironwolf Raid 5 (Or ZFS pool? Whatever OMV 4 does...)
  • I run an automated daily backup script that uses dd to write an image file of the OMV system drive.

My 16GB OMV system drive takes only eight minutes to backup. As you have a 128GB OS drive, this will take much longer, and if you keep multiple copies of the backup (I keep seven), they will consume a fair amount of space.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• 8 min for 16 GB sounds super slow. About 30 mb/s. Omv install on flash drive?
    Using dd on a live install might produce invalid filesystem, one would suspect.

I think there is a plug in to make snapshot of all the omv files for restore on new install.

• 8 min for 16 GB sounds super slow. About 30 mb/s. Omv install on flash drive?
    Using dd on a live install might produce invalid filesystem, one would suspect.

I think there is a plug in to make snapshot of all the omv files for restore on new install.

OMV is installed on a 16GB 2.5 in SSD housed in an USB enclosure. The speed doesn't matter as it is automated and runs daily unattended.

This has been tested repeatedly and continuously, verified to work for me without any problems for years, and isn't based on speculation. I wouldn't have suggested it if it was otherwise. But YMMV.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi everyone.
    I've just set up my custom OMV on x64 Intel with SSD as a system drive and 2* 3TB HDDs.
    Before proceeding to further "tweaks" and adjustments, I want to have a backup clone/copy/backup of my system.

I've search through documentation and several forum threads.
    I've already read these topics:
    Configuration Backup
    Headless Backup of the System Drive with Clonezilla

BUT

There's also a plugin "openmediavault-backup 4.0.2".

So, my question is like follows: in backup tab, I have chosen "dd" method (see 1st screenshot), which gave me result like below.
    After that, I have 6 files in backup directory (2nd screenshot).

With these, am I good to go with system backup?
    Is this plugin working correctly and how to restore this backup in case of sh...emergency?
    And why most of you advise using clonezilla instead?

• Offizieller Beitrag

With these, am I good to go with system backup?

Yes.

Is this plugin working correctly and how to restore this backup in case of sh...emergency?

Yes it is working correctly. How to restore from an omv-backup?

And why most of you advise using clonezilla instead?

Because it is easier.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Because it is easier.

Thank you for clarification.
    So, basically, if I boot my machine with Clonezilla Live USB and make an image of disk, then everything I have to do, is restore img to sda, right?
    This is what you mean by "easier"?

Second question: in Linux Mint, which I use on my laptop, there's a Timeshift software, which is apparently GUI for rsync.
    With Timeshift, AFAIU my laptop create "restore points" in some intervals, which I can restore to earlier "snapshot" in case something goes awry.
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I can do the same in OMV by creating cronjobs with proper rsync command(s), si?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, basically, if I boot my machine with Clonezilla Live USB and make an image of disk, then everything I have to do, is restore img to sda, right?
    This is what you mean by "easier"?

Yes

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I can do the same in OMV by creating cronjobs with proper rsync command(s), si?

Somewhat. Timeshift is taking snapshots of data files and those can easily be written over. Restoring OS files is not the same since you don't always want to write over files you are using - specifically binary files and log files. So, to restore the os, you should not be running the system on the OS you are trying to restore.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hi guys,

sorry to bring up this older topic again, but i really tried the search before asking...

The Clonezilla guide seems to be for OMV 3, right? Is there an updated guide for OMV 4? I understand that Clonezilla is still the best option, but I couldn't find any guide on it.

Thanks!

• Not that I know, but the only thing that changed is that Clonezilla can now be found in omv-extras in the kernel tab.

ok thx. I did a test backup with clonezilla today and it worked fine... but I'm not happy with the downtime and manual work. does the fsarchiver job also work to completely restore a failed disk from scratch?

• Offizieller Beitrag

does the fsarchiver job also work to completely restore a failed disk from scratch?

It does on a standard OMV install installed with the ISO. https://forum.openmediavault.o…kup-plugin-to-system-SSD/

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can use a regular systemrescuecd to boot, right?

yep

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!