Physical Disk Properties Recommendation

• Hi,

Just getting started with OMV and switching over from a Windows file server (which seemed to auto manage disk spin down, etc.) and wanted to see what other might recommend for disk power settings. The NAS will be used mostly for streaming movies so will be off most the time and only on when watching a movie or managing the data. There are 8 HDDs in a P4 box all on a 450 watt power supply... in most cases only one disk will be accessed at a time (watching a movie) so definitely want the others to spin down. And acoustics are not a problem really because the box is in a different room than the TV.

I was thinking to leave "Advanced Power Management" to "Disabled" (mostly wondering what is a good one to choose here?), "Automatic Acoustic Management" to "Disabled", "Spindown time" to "5 minutes", "SMART" to "Active" and "Write cache" "Disabled". Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot for any input!

• Hmm,

no expert on powersavings with linux. I always have the feeling, that it simply does not spin down my disks at all. ...

But I have two questions on your subject:

1. What do you mean, that only one disks needs spinning? Are you saying, that you put 8 drives in and put a share on each of the drives, that you will end up with 8 mounts in your windows host and HTPC? I believe that you have any kind of RAID (0 to 5, concat or LVM), so that you see one drive. In this case all disks will spin.

2. Write cache disable? Why are you doing that?

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Zitat von "SerErris"

[...]

2. Write cache disable? Why are you doing that?

Maybe to protect against data loss due to power outage?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!