Query on setup **NOOB ALERT**

• Apologies in advance if I've put this in the wrong area and for the long winded query and if this has all been answered before.
    I'm Noob to Linux so bare with me

I've just setup 0.4 on my HP N40L Running 2 x 3TB WD Red's with a Kingston SSD running the OS.
    It's going to be used for storing Movies, TV, Show's, Photos, music and maybe some files just to free up some space on the trusty laptop.
    The data will be accessed from a few laptops and desktops and a Rasberry Pi connected to a TV for pretty much the media.

What I'm wanting to know is before I start putting all the data onto these two drives, is there anything that I need to setup in regards to file systems, partitioning etc?
    If there is and if anyone has a similar setup to me, can they recommend what I would need to do to?

Also, is there a plugin/addin for OMV that will allow it to record TV Shows?
    If so, what would be the best way to go about it?

Again my apologies for asking probably what has been asked many times before but I appreciate any feedback and advice.

Cheers

Azza

• For the filesystem, i would recommend XFS (especially for media storage), others may recommend EXT4.
    No need to partition anything, except one big partition. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi David,

Thanks for the response :D

Both drives are now set but I'm just wondering when I plug the external drives with the data on to transfer them, does OMV automatically detect or is there a special way I need to add them?

• Just mount them via the Webinterface.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Sorry how do I do that...

(EDIT) I just plugged the drive into the OMV box and it picked it up in the web UI under Filesystems.
    It says its online. If I mount this will it allow me to copy across the data?

• Yes.

Greetings
    David

• Now do I just use Rsync to copy it across?

(EDIT) Just found the USB Plugin and am running it through that so far all is going well :)

Also, can you recommend a torrent client that is good to run with OMV.
    I'm used to using uTorrent. Is this ok?

• Hi Guy,

Well I've managed to copy across my data but now I'm trying to figure out how to share it amongst all my devices on the network.
    I'm going to want to be able to edit data from these devices so can anyone advise what type of account I need to setup?

• Well, you would setup shared folders and add the shared folders under your desired services (SMB/CIFS / NFS / FTP ...).

Maybe you need to setup ACLs, but for SMB/CIFS you can setup all shares to be accessable by "public".

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!