OMV as Master Browser

• I am wondering if there is some way to confirm whether or not OMV is the Master Browser. I have one computer that cannot find OMV--can't see it all. Interestingly, the same computer is also not seeing itself on the network--but that's another story. I'm trying to resolve this, but in the meantime, I've used some tools, notably the NetB Scanner to look at the computers that are connected--two Desktops on LAN cables (including OMV) and two laptops on wireless. The Scanner can only tell me about the 3 Windows computers, and none of them is the Master Browser. It would make sense that OMV would be, as that computer is on all the time. I am wondering how I can confirm this. and whether there is something I can do to make it easier for the other LAN machine to find the NAS.

I hope you can help--Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

First:
    Firewall implementations can do things that cause odd behavior, like disabling "localhost" or "127.0.0.1", along with disabling various networking protocols. If your PC is isolated on your network, your add-on firewall is the first place to look.

Second:
    To find if your OMV server is the Browse Master;
    - Your OMV server should be set to be the Browse Master, under Services, SMB/CIF, Settings tab. (And)
    - Your OMV server should be up and running, before your workstation is booted.

With your OMV server name in hand use the following command in a command prompt window on your Windows PC:

nbtstat -a omvservername

C:\Users\Jack>nbtstat -a OMV-SERVER

Realtek 1GB:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.166] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    OMV-SERVER <00> UNIQUE Registered
    OMV-SERVER <03> UNIQUE Registered
    OMV-SERVER <20> UNIQUE Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
    WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
    WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
    WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

Third - setting aside a firewall problem:
    I'll go out on a limb and guess that the PC that doesn't see your OMV server is either Windows 10 or Windows XP. If it's Windows 10, see this How-To. Assuming that there are no hardware issues, setting an entry in the HOSTS file guarantees that the workstation can connect to the your server, at the network level.

If the workstation is Windows XP, you'd need to enable (or force) SMB1 (or earlier protocols) on your network shares. Enabling SMB1 is, generally speaking, not a good idea.

• Thanks for these comments.

1) I don't have any add-on firewalls. I'm just using what Windows 10 provides.

I have been working with someone on the TenForums on this, who seems to understand some of the issues. Apparently there are quirks that are different in the last couple of implementations of Windows 10. There are things in the setup of Windows Services that can be adjusted, and some have been helpful, but certain things still are wonky.

2) I did determine that OMV has been in fact the Master Browser in the Network, in one way by using NirSoft's NetBScanner. Re: your suggestion to use nbstat: I have found more and more lately that Windows Command recognizes fewer and fewer older commands: ("'nbstat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.")

I tried letting Windows take over the MB function, which had no benefit. I'm back to letting OMV be the MB, and I agree this is the way it should be. The NAS is the only computer that will be on all the time.

3) Thanks for the directions on how to set the hosts file. I've been looking for that. BTW, I am hearing that Win10 has done something to remove the danger of using SMB v.1, and I was advised on TenForums that it is better to use it now. Not sure if this is latest info!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I suspected your issues has something to do with Win10.

I wouldn't enable SMB1 without solid information that the vulnerability has been eliminated, but that's your call. It would be good if they actually plugged SMB1. There are a number of peripherals and network hardware devices that use it.
    (If you have a link indicating that SMB1 has been patched, please share it.)

If you changed Win10 settings according to the How-To; mapping network drives and creating a server short cut should work. Also, nailing down SMB2, as the operational protocol, should stop M$ from breaking network connections with security updates.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!