eSATA support

• Hello,

I wish to make backup of my OMV data to external hdd. Because I have only USB 2.0 ports and backup is so slow that it doesn't make any sense to use it I decided to use eSATA port which I also have. So I bought eSATA to SATA cable and connect disk to it and... nothing happen. So does OMV support eSATA out of the box (I builded NAS on Fujitsu Q5030) or should I install something before?

• Did you connect power to the drive?
    There's no power over eSATA/SATA cables.

Also, did you configure your BIOS/UEFI correctly? You need to enable support for hot swappable drives to the eSATA port or the system won't detect the drive being plugged in/removed.

OMV is not an OS, so the question is, does Debian support eSATA and the answer is yes.
    You might have to mount the drive though, at least the first time. Not sure how auto mounting of eSATA works with Linux.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Hello,

This is my cable and there is no option to connect power cable. I suppose that in e-Sata/USB port should be power, but I didn't found any information in Fujitsu documentation. Any idea ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

That cable does have a power connector but normal esata does not include power. Did that cable come with the system or did you just buy an esata/usb combo cable that only works with special systems? The manual for that system is terrible.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It actually looks like you got hold of an eSATAp cable, not an eSATA cable.
    What you need is something like this.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• One more question :)

I found this eSATAp cable and there is information that I don't have to connect power if I am using 2.5" HDD. So for test purpose I connected 2.5" SATA 32GB SSD drive and there is still no visible drive. So should it be extra power or not?

• Offizieller Beitrag

there is information that I don't have to connect power if I am using 2.5" HDD. So for test purpose I connected 2.5" SATA 32GB SSD drive and there is still no visible drive. So should it be extra power or not?

If you don't have a powered esata port, you have to connect the power connector. Regular sata/esata can't power anything. You can power a 2.5" hdd with usb because it uses 5V but not a 3.5" hdd because it requires 12v.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!