RAID5 missing

• Yesterday, I went to access my RAID5 array through Windows, and it was disconnected. I couldn't get it back, so unplugged my Raspberry Pi and plugged it back in to power cycle it. I have three Toshiba Canvio 1 TB USB drives plugged in through a powered USB hub that is, in turn, plugged into my Raspberry Pi. I also have a fourth Toshiba Canvio drive that I use as a backup, and I can still access that one.

Here's the information from SSH:

• More details:

• Offizieller Beitrag

We have said over and over to not use raid on usb drives let alone an RPi. Very bad idea. If this command doesn't work, you are on your own.

mdadm --assemble --verbose --force /dev/md127 /dev/sd[abc]

If that works, omv-mkconf mdadm

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I followed the same advice a week ago to get the RAID (on XU4) running again using this command ... and placed an order for a HC2 the same time. After a few reboots, my XU4 RAID array became unstable again while waiting for HC2's arrival. After some initial tests, the HC2 appears to be a lot more reliable on OMV 4. I know I will lose high availability with HC2, but it's better than the RAID not available at all. Currently, I am running HC2 in parallel and loading data into it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Regards,

John

• Well I knew it wasn't ideal, but I didn't think it would totally DIE on me. I just figured it wasn't going to be as fast as doing a proper RAID with a SATA card.

Fortunately, I have not lost any data as a result because I had an RSync backup in place to a single drive. It's just annoying and making me regret buying all those external hard drives.

Any thoughts on how I can put these drives to better use while not spending a ton of money on a pricey enclosure? I guess I could RSync from one to another for backup, but that still leaves two drives unused.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It definitely isn't just about speed. Raid redundancy makes no sense with a device that has no redundancy in it.

Any thoughts on how I can put these drives to better use while not spending a ton of money on a pricey enclosure? I guess I could RSync from one to another for backup, but that still leaves two drives unused.

No idea what you are using it for but you could pool the drives with the unionfilesystem plugin. Create two pools and rsnapshot one pool to the other.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• We have said over and over to not use raid on usb drives let alone an RPi. Very bad idea. If this command doesn't work, you are on your own.

mdadm --assemble --verbose --force /dev/md127 /dev/sd[abc]

If that works, omv-mkconf mdadm

It worked, so thanks for that.

Of course, I'm trying to decide where to go from here because this doesn't seem like it's going to be very reliable.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!