*UPDATE DOCKER Pi-HOLE*

• Offizieller Beitrag

sudo pihole -up for anyone using it outside of a docker.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The new Docker Pi-Hole is pihole/pihole previously it was diginc/pi-hole, this is the latest V4.0

I just checked it out. The How-To needs minor edits. Thanks for the heads up!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just checked it out. The How-To needs minor edits. Thanks for the heads up!

Minor edits :/ I just followed your howto as before, the only thing I had to do was Update Gravity from the tools menu to get it to fully function.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Minor edits :/ I just followed your howto as before, the only thing I had to do was Update Gravity from the tools menu to get it to fully function.

What do you mean, "fully functional"? Maybe I missed something.

I tested with my backup server which was a clean Docker install, not an image/container upgrade. (/dockerparms and sub dir's were new, not reused.)

Did you do an upgrade using the How-To?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What do you mean, "fully functional"? Maybe I missed something.

You probably didn't, just me, pi-hole wasn't blocking anything, and the web admin under Domains on Blocklist displayed 0, until I run Update Gravity from the Tools option.

Did you do an upgrade using the How-To?

Yep :thumbup: and I backed up the pihole-FTL.conf so I could copy it back.

• Offizieller Beitrag

sudo pihole -up for anyone using it outside of a docker.

Why would anyone use an add-on outside of a Docker? :)

On a serious note, have you given any thought to setting up a Docker section in the forum?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why would anyone use an add-on outside of a Docker?

I installed on it on my existing Ubuntu 18 DNS server without docker.

On a serious note, have you given any thought to setting up a Docker section in the forum?

Makes sense to me but Volker would have to do that. I can't.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

I installed on it on my existing Ubuntu 18 DNS server without docker.

Just kidding BTW. :)

Makes sense to me but Volker would have to do that. I can't.

Perhaps @votdev would consider a dedicated Docker Section in the forum.

Given the excellent Docker Plugin:
    OMV's forum community has stepped up with numerous Docker How-To's. @flvinny521 and @TechnoDadLife, in particular, have done outstanding work.
    While Docker add-on's extend OMV's capabilities, dealing with the inevitable container configuration issues are separate from OMV, in the vast majority of cases. Accordingly, for organization and the ease of navigation for new forum users, it makes sense to give Dockers a separate section.

With a separate Docker Section, the community could focus on Docker configuration issues and providing assistance to users, leaving OMV's Dev's free to focus on OMV.

• Guten Abend,

Ich wollte mir gerade das pihole in docker anschauen und bin nach der anleitung gegangen.

doch leider spuckt es mir eine fehlermeldung aus.

kann mir da evtl. jemand helfen?

Code
    Fehler #0:
    OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; docker network create -d macvlan --subnet=192.168.178.2/99 --gateway=192.168.178.1 -o parent=ens130 homenet' with exit code '1':  in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/docker.inc(1068): OMV\System\Process->execute()
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDocker->createNetwork(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('createNetwork', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Docker', 'createNetwork', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}

Dieser Fehler wurde ausgespuckt.

Systeminfo:

OMV Version: 4.1.11
    Docker Version: 4.0.1

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you follow the guide here but as quick observation from your output the problem could be the subnet entry

[docker network create -d macvlan --subnet=192.168.178.2/99 --gateway=192.168.178.1 -o parent=ens130 homenet' with exit code '1':

• Offizieller Beitrag

--subnet=192.168.178.2/99

/99 ist kein gültiges Subnetz

Wenn Sie Ihren MacVlan einrichten (wie gezeigt -> link), sollte Ihr Subnetz-Eintrag dem folgenden ähneln: 192.168.178.0/24

/24 setzt voraus, dass Sie die Adressen 192.168.178.1 bis 254 verwenden

• Why would anyone use an add-on outside of a Docker? :)

I installed pi-hole on a dietpi VM running in virtualbox. I can't imagine a better way to do it other than using an actual raspberry PI. The only downside to having it run in a VM is that no one on my network has DNS if the server is down. My server is rarely down, but for instance if I had a power outage, I could run my modem, router, and rpi on the UPS for a very very long time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I installed pi-hole on a dietpi VM running in virtualbox. I can't imagine a better way to do it other than using an actual raspberry PI. The only downside to having it run in a VM is that no one on my network has DNS if the server is down. My server is rarely down, but for instance if I had a power outage, I could run my modem, router, and rpi on the UPS for a very very long time.

Umm, I was just kidding around with ryecoarron ;) - who is actively trying to get users to use dockers versus OMV plugins.
    (It's an unnecessary duplication of effort.)

So ARM architectures run in Virtualbox VM's? Is that a recent development? I'll have to check that out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So ARM architectures run in Virtualbox VM's?

Nope. qemu yes but not all that great.

I can't imagine a better way to do it other than using an actual raspberry PI.

I run pi-hole on an old mac mini running Ubuntu 18. Much faster and more stable than an RPi that I initially tried.

• So ARM architectures run in Virtualbox VM's? Is that a recent development? I'll have to check that out.

It's not ARM. It's a lightweight Debian based on x86_64. http://www.dietpi.com Click on download and then PC/VM and they have a virtualbox VM that you can download and run. No need to install. They have a built-in software installer that you can use to install PI-hole once your VM is running.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My preference is for a Docker, because of shared memory with the host and the minimalist bare-bones approach. However, I appreciate the links.
    If other packages are bundled in VM's, that work in Virtualbox, they might be useful for exploring and testing other app's without using physical hardware.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which RPi were you using? Can't imagine Pi-hole needs much in the way of resources. There are other more powerful SBC's available now that might work better...

Rpi2 or 3. Don’t remember. My mac mini does other things as well. I have more powerful SBCs too (rockpro64, renegade, odroid-c2, etc). I could also run it in a vm on my ESXi server. I may switch someday but I feel more comfortable running infrastructure stuff on x86 boxes.

• I managed to setup Pi-hole in a docker container by following this guide:
    [How To] Install Pi-Hole in Docker: Update 01/18/19 - Adding Unbound, a Recursive DNS Server.

However, from the Pi-hole docker hub, it seems that the configuration on the latest version has changed a bit (e.g. --cap-add=NET_ADMIN and --dns=127.0.0.1 are changed from optional to strongly encouraged or warnings might appear). I still managed to set it up by following exactly the same steps in the guide , but it is giving error on clicking the "Settings" menu in the ph-hole admin page:
    PHP error (2): parse_ini_file(/etc/pihole/setupVars.conf): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/admin/settings.php:11

Moreover, the WEBPASSWORD setup according to the above guide didn't work at all now (I can browse the admin page directly without any password)...

Does anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks a lot!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!