Wrong File owner, something very strange happened

• After something went wrong with a Docker Module installation, i couldn't access the OMV WebIf anymore (Bad Gateway, Nginx Error Message). I've deleted the Docker Image trough Console access. Now i can access the WebIf again, but nothing else is working as expected (Samba Share, Plex Server,...).

After looking in Syslog i found the a lot of Error Messages in the Syslog.

If i check the owner of this files all is set to 911

Nearly all Files and Folder on my Server are set to 911 (user andf group).

Is there any way i can restore the correct ownerships?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any way i can restore the correct ownerships?

Looks like you used /etc/cron.d as a persistent storage directory on one of your containers? chown root:root /etc/cron.d/* should fix the permissions.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• did not use the cron.d directory in docker. At least i don't know about it.

But nearly all other directorys also owned from 911 uid and gid. As you can see in the last spoiler.
    Will correcting the cron.d directory also affect all the other directorys and files?

• Offizieller Beitrag

But nearly all other directorys also owned from 911 uid and gid. As you can see in the last spoiler.

Not good. I didn't notice that in the last spoiler.

Will correcting the cron.d directory also affect all the other directorys and files?

Nope. I hope you have a backup or you will be installing fresh. Before you do either, can you post the output of: ps aux

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

The good news is that you don't seem to have any processes running that would indicate a hack. The bad news is that fixing the permissions of every file on the system would take much longer than a new install.

• Offizieller Beitrag

/---/ No Backup available :whistling:;(

I don't know what you're booting with but, if it's flash media, operating system backup up (or cloning) is easy.

When something odd like this happens, it's nice to be able to "punt". (I'm dealing with something weird as well.)

• Yes i know a backup would be nice :/ Mostly i did one. But i have installed the OMV Server not long ago and a Backup was a Task i had on my todo List :thumbup:

I'm booting from a SSD. On this SSD is only the System installed. So really a easy thing to have it on a save place.

Already saved the interesting configurations and beginning a new installation.
    Now i see it as a Linux training. Every new installation is a little bit more smooth :saint:

And a Backup will be the first thing after i finished the initital Configuration!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you'd consider booting with a USB stick (or use an SSD to USB adapter) - take a look at this guide starting at page 57. Since USB sockets are on the outside of a PC case, cloning flash drives is really easy. With a known working clone handy, it's easy to back out of a disaster. (Like this one.)

• I'm using a HP Microserver as OMV Server.
    Here is a special thing on HDD Config.
    Bay 1-4 is used for HDD
    Bay 5 the ODD Port i used for my System SSD
    i need to use a microsd card for chainbooting, because otherwise the system could only boot from bay 1-4. With this trick i can boot from the odd Port. So far so good :) OMV is newly installed an working.

Which is the best way to backup my OMV Installation? There is no need to backup the other HDD's. Only a System Backup for cases like the one i had.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which is the best way to backup my OMV Installation?

Install the backup plugin and choose the fsarchiver option. You can restore using this post - How to restore from an omv-backup?

• Backup is done now :thumbup: and your small tutorial for Recovery is saved in my Bookmarks :whistling:

Another Question, is it possible to include in this Backup, also another Partition of the Server?
    I have createt another Partition on my SSD, where the Configs of Plugins and Dockers are saved. Would be nice if i could include this partition also in the Backup 8o

• Offizieller Beitrag

is it possible to include in this Backup, also another Partition of the Server?

Not without a change to the plugin. You could add a scheduled job to do that though.

• Do you know a tutorial or a small instruction how i can schedule a Backup of this extra Partiton with the "Schedueld Job" Feature?
    Or could i use any of the other Backup Plugins for this task?

I'm almost a beginner with Linux :/

• Offizieller Beitrag

This would be a nightmare to write a tutorial for someone who is a beginner. I will look at the plugin to see if I can backup all partitions on the OS disk. Just remember that having additional partitions on the OS disk technically isn't support.

• Didn't know that having another Partition isn't supported. Did find a tutorial how to do it and it sounds good to me. Had it already on OMV3 and did the same under OMV4.
    Will remeber it on next installation and don't create another Partiton :!: Maybe i will get it done to move all Data from the extra Partition to the System partiton and delete the extra one (or at least leave it empty)...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!