Fileshare network freezes under heavy traffic

• I've set everything up, but the network seems to frequently freeze when there's heavy traffic, like loading thumbnails or streaming multiple movies at once. It freezes for about 30 seconds and everything becomes unresponsive.

I know there's nothing wrong with the OMV box, because my JDownloader plugin is still downloading fine when the network freezes. I can still access the OMV through the browser. I can access to other networks.

This happens with both Windows and Linux. It freezes with both Samba and NFS.

What could be wrong? Btw this is on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

• Offizieller Beitrag

What could be wrong? Btw this is on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

It is an RPi. That answers most questions. The network adapter and your storage share the usb bus. So, you can issues there. If you are powering the storage off the usb port and/or have an power adapter that is undersized, you could be causing issues there as well.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm having similar issues as this one:

OMV Machine hangs randomly on large file transfers to OMV

However I don't have the Realtek adapter.

It is an RPi. That answers most questions. The network adapter and your storage share the usb bus. So, you can issues there. If you are powering the storage off the usb port and/or have an power adapter that is undersized, you could be causing issues there as well.

Like I said, I can still access the non-Samba/NFS network fine. So that can't be the reason.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is performance related and in line with $30 computing device. When an R-PI CPU saturates,it stops answering the network. Just because Jdownloader doesn't require much in the way of CPU (which would make it more tolerant of the CPU running at 100%) doesn't mean all is well.

An R-PI can stream one movie but it's not up for much more than that, in the way of multitasking. Trying to run multiple streams along with other background tasks, at the same time, and there will be problems.

For what you want to do, it sounds like you need a bit more horsepower. Otherwise, compromise. Automate downloading during after-hours periods and stream one movie at a time.

• This is performance related and in line with $30 computing device. When an R-PI CPU saturates,it stops answering the network. Just because Jdownloader doesn't require much in the way of CPU (which would make it more tolerant of the CPU running at 100%) doesn't mean all is well.

An R-PI can stream one movie but it's not up for much more than that, in the way of multitasking. Trying to run multiple streams along with other background tasks, at the same time, and there will be problems.

For what you want to do, it sounds like you need a bit more horsepower. Otherwise, compromise. Automate downloading during after-hours periods and stream one movie at a time.

Then why can I access to FTP etc, while Samba/NFS is freezing?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Because FTP might not need the resources that Samba and NFS need, and/or the FTP process might have been first in the queue with what it needs already allocated. Again, judging the overall performance of your R-PI based on one app that works, versus another that doesn't, doesn't tell you anything definitive.

Try this:
    Open a browser Window on a PC, then open up the OMV Web console to your R-PI. Go to Diagnostics, System information, and select the Processes tab.
    - Then stream a 1080p movie from the R-PI, on the same PC, using your favorite viewer.
    - Go to another PC and setup another 1080p video stream, from the R-PI.

In the OMV browser window, in the Processes tab, hit the refresh button a few times. (This will give you a capture of what's happening at that moment in time.) At some point, you'll see 100% CPU utilization. So what do you think that might that mean? Everything can't be handled, so tasks are delayed or ignored until the CPU catches up. 100% is 100% - there's nothing left to give.
    Try to be realistic about processing performance of a $30 device. If an R-PI was as strong as you appear to want it to be, for $30, they'd be in data centers.

I've been using an R-PI with OMV for years so when I say "upgrade or compromise", it comes from experience. I did both. I bought a server for OMV/Media Server/NAS duties and set up the R-PI as a data backup device where it's slowness is not a factor. (See the signature.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

They use the same kernel so it is odd that raspbian fixes it. Are you using the same SD card for both OSes?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK,, you got me. :)

How could;

I have no problem with Raspbian OS. I'm streaming multiple movies and it doesn't freeze.

and

Equate to

I think I've figured out the reason... there was something wrong with the LAN cable. I've switched the LAN cable and it seems to be working fine.

I suppose all is well that ends well but, going forward, keep in mind that there's only so much an R-PI can do.

Those limitations are due to it's single USB interface doing ALL the I/O work and a processor that's limited. Again, as a compromise to deal with the performance limitations, some of the misc. tasks (jdownloader) can be automated and shifted to after-hours periods that won't interfere with movie viewing.

• I just want to add that I too am now seeing problems transferring large amounts of data off my OMV using SAMBA.

I am not on RPI or using USB devices. After about 18GB of data transferred, the connection locks up. I have done this many, many times in the past, usually transferring 500GB or more, which can take hours to complete.

No idea why this is happening now. All I have done here since the last time I did this was apply any OMV updates.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just tested transferring 26GB to one of my OMV4 systems and it finished with no issues. Were you transferring to or from? Any special parameters in the extra options box?

• I was transferring from OMV. I have made no changes to anything SAMBA related. When SAMBA locks up, I can still use sftp to move files.

I have these in extra options. They have always been there.

wide links = yes
    unix extensions = no

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just transferred 50GB from OMV with no issues. I have wide links and unix extensions enabled. I also have the following options:

max protocol = SMB3
    protocol = SMB3
    server min protocol = SMB3
    min protocol = SMB3

• I'll try adding those in Extra options and test again.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe try enabling logging to see why it is happening?

• Well, it isn't an OMV problem AFAICT. I plugged a Windows 7 machine into the network and OMV's samba served up the same files I was trying to copy just fine. The transfer also ran almost three times as fast. So there must be a problem with my main machine, a Linux Mint 18.x box.

I'll concentrate there.

I wish I could get NFS working between OMV and Linux Mint 18.x. I think mergerfs on OMV is preventing that from working.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!