Plex not transcoding. Docker.

• Hello everyone!

I was about to kill my whole machine and go with Windows 10 as my Plex Media Server but I thought i'd give this forum a shot. Thanks in advance for looking at my post.

Without getting into a long winded essay about how my openmediavault experience has been, I want to share that I built this server with having a PlexMediaServer in mind. OMV on paper seemed like the perfect fit.

Things I've gotten to work thanks to this forum:

-NZBGet (Docker)
    -Radarr (Docker)
    -Sonarr(Docker)
    -Tautulli (Docker)
    -MergerFS
    -Snapraid (daily syncs)
    -ShellinaBox
    -VirtualBox

However, I can't seem to get PLEX to transcode in either docker or the default plugin. Everything else seems to be set up perfectly and even has updated itself in the time I've spent trying to get it to work. LOL

My experience is the following:

-Direct-Play works flawlessly and with multiple clients
    -Transcoding always fails immediately or a minute or so into the movie. Multiple movie files have been tested.

Things I've tried:

-give exec permissions to the user in the config directory.
    -give exec permissions in the config.xml file
    -modify fstab file
    -give root permissions to the docker
    -try official docker image from Plex
    -try setting up a VirtualMachine using VIrtual Box for just plex... lol yes I was that desperate...

They all produce this error, "Playback Error. Conversion Failed. The transcoder process crashed."

I will try and attach as many things as possible but please let me know if I can provide any other info.

Thank you again guys for the free help.

BTW, I couldn't upload most files so I included GDrive links... lol

drive.google.com/drive/folders…-FxQHc7LWkaSA?usp=sharing

• I can not determine this from what you have posted, but the drive where /sharedfolders/SSD/SSD/Plex/config must have exec capability.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thank you for the response.

I actually went ahead and have the whole drive exec permissions. I validated this by running small sh files like hello world.

Using midnight Commander, the config file has the exec flag on

Let me know if there is a way I can verify it actually has exec permissions.

Thank you again

• Yes it is sir.

I followed a guide from this forum to get it working.

Also, I attached my fstab file so I could illustrate that I have done so.

If you can't see it, I can copy and paste here no prob.

• # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
    UUID=7f0aace4-fe71-4f1f-8dc1-a11a3a778d2e / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
    UUID=e92c95d2-ab6c-4c6e-a9bd-41a2fbc954df none swap sw 0 0
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
    # >>> [openmediavault]
    /dev/disk/by-label/IronWolf1 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-IronWolf1 btrfs defaults,nofail 0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/4TBHDD /srv/dev-disk-by-label-4TBHDD btrfs defaults,nofail 0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/Samsung1TB /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Samsung1TB btrfs defaults,nofail 0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/IronWolf2 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-IronWolf2 btrfs defaults,nofail 0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/IronWolf3 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-IronWolf3 btrfs defaults,nofail 0 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-KINGSTON_SH100S3120G_50026B721A111383-part3 /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-KINGSTON_SH100S3120G_50026B721A111383-part3 ext4 defaults,exec,nofail,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,discard,acl 0 2
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-4TBHDD:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Samsung1TB:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-IronWolf2:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-IronWolf3 /srv/512e1b65-7039-44af-a2ff-5e2d6a0661f2 fuse.mergerfs defaults,allow_other,direct_io,use_ino,category.create=mfs,minfreespace=4G 0 0
    /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-KINGSTON_SH100S3120G_50026B721A111383-part3/ /var/lib/docker/openmediavault none bind,defaults,exec 0 0
    # <<< [openmediavault]

• What about the Host path where the Container path /transcode points to. Does that folder have correct permissions such that the user that the plex docker runs as can write there?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I have it on my SSD and the fstab reads like this,

/srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-KINGSTON_SH100S3120G_50026B721A111383-part3/ /var/lib/docker/openmediavault none bind,defaults,exec 0 0

My previous posts keep getting withheld by the mod. needs to be approved by them. =/

• I'm still not clear to me on how you are actually setting things up.

One thing I absolutely do not do is use any /sharedfolders/.... in the container Host paths. Such use is highly unclear. I use the actual real full paths.

I run the linuxserver.io Plex docker here along with eleven others and have no problems with any of them.

The problems seen most often around here with dockers almost always turn out to be incorrect permissions and ownerships of the container Host Paths and the user:group the containers are being run as.

Plex, regardless whether it runs in a docker, the OMV plugin, or directly installed, is notoriously sensitive to permissions.

Also, I do not use ACLs here.

--

• I see...

Well, in your experience, has Plex worked just out the box? Mine never did. Not even the plug-in from omv-extras.

I followed the installation videos outlined here by technodad and he used shared folders...

Am I installing it incorrectly? Would you mind linking me a step-by-step? I'm currently backing up all my stuff so I can wipe the machine if need be...

Just want to avoid doing windows if possible :(

• I used to run Plex via the OMV plugin, on every OMV version I have used here - 2,3, and 4. Never had any problems other than having to have exec capability on the drive where the metadata library is stored when Plex moved the codecs there.

And I had no trouble converting many things over to dockers starting with OMV 4, including Plex.

I suggest you use ls -al commands in the shell to determine the ownership and permissions on the actual Host paths your Plex container is using for its /config and /transcode Container paths.

On my OMV, I have created one ordinary user, and placed him into the users group (I use my OMV machine for a lot more than just what OMV provides).

All my dockers run as that user:group. All my media files (movies, music, TV shows) that Plex accesses are owned by that user:group. And so are the Host path directories that are pointed to by the Plex docker Container paths for /config and /transcode. All my data drives are exec capable.

As I said, the most commonly seen problems with Plex are permission related and a missing exec capability on the /config drive/directory the container is using.

--

• I went ahead and executed the commands you've asked me, and again, thank you for your time, I truly appreciate it.

the "jaime" user is me and that is the UID and PID I gave the docker.

Linux openmediavault 4.17.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.17.8-1~bpo9+1 (2018-07-23) x86_64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
    the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
    individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
    permitted by applicable law.
    Last login: Sat Aug 11 18:38:21 2018 from 192.168.1.17
    root@openmediavault:~# ls -al /sharedfolders/SSD/SSD/Plex/
    total 48
    drwsrws--x+ 5 jaime users 4096 Aug 9 13:37 .
    drwsrws--x+ 7 jaime users 4096 Aug 9 12:39 ..
    drwsrws--x+ 3 jaime users 4096 Aug 9 13:44 config
    -rwxrwx--x+ 1 jaime users 32 Aug 6 19:44 hello.sh
    drwxrwx--x+ 6 jaime users 4096 Jul 31 21:19 media
    drwsrws--x+ 3 jaime users 4096 Aug 11 14:09 transcode
    root@openmediavault:~# login as: root
    -rwxrwx--x+ 1 jaime users 32 Aug 6 19:44 hello.sh
    drwxrwx--x+ 6 jaime users 4096 Jul 31 21:19 media
    drwsrws--x+ 3 jaime users 4096 Aug 11 14:09 transcode
    root@openmediavault:~#

• Here are mine:

Code
    drwxr-sr-x  3 fred users          4096 Apr 28 11:43 plexmediaserver-database
    drwxr-sr-x  3 fred users          4096 Aug 10 18:23 plexmediaserver-transcode

The container /config points to plexmediaserver-database

The container /transcode points to plexmediaserver-transcode

I think you have permissions problems :)

--

• I recursively chown directories and files fred:users

I chmod 2755 directories and 0644 files. But just concentrate on the directories first.

--

• I went ahead and executed the following commands

root@openmediavault:~# chmod -R 777 /sharedfolders/SSD/SSD/Plex/
    root@openmediavault:~# id jaime
    uid=1000(jaime) gid=100(users) groups=100(users)
    root@openmediavault:~# ls -al /sharedfolders/SSD/SSD/Plex/
    total 48
    drwsrwsrwx+ 5 jaime users 4096 Aug 9 13:37 .
    drwsrws--x+ 7 jaime users 4096 Aug 9 12:39 ..
    drwsrwsrwx+ 3 jaime users 4096 Aug 9 13:44 config
    -rwxrwxrwx+ 1 jaime users 32 Aug 6 19:44 hello.sh
    drwxrwxrwx+ 6 jaime users 4096 Jul 31 21:19 media
    drwsrwsrwx+ 3 jaime users 4096 Aug 11 20:54 transcode
    root@openmediavault:~#

I hope this fixes it!

Mr. Gderf, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to save me from windows... ;( lol

• If it didn't work, then instead of operating on /sharedfolders/SSD/SSD/Plex/ operate on the actual real drive and path.

--

• Glad you have it sorted. I would have felt terrible if you surrendered to Windows.

Instead of buying me a beer, have two for yourself. And remember.........Plex problems? It's all about permissions.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!