Backup Plugin fails - /dev/root is not a valid block device (Raspberry Pi 3)

• Setting up a new/replacement Raspberry Pi 3 for my utility device and running into a problem with the backup plugin. Trying to use fsarchiver or dd as the options fails to work, indicating /dev/root is not a valid device. Error output below.

That's for fsarchiver; dd is similar (still giving the /dev/root not valid block device). When I look in /dev, there is no /dev/root device, but I do see it if I do df -h, and it's mounted as the root partition. I've tried adding the actual partition as the root partition, but that only helps with the MBR portion.

I can use rsync, but I'd feel much better about it if I could have an actual image file instead. I couldn't find anything about this on the forums at all, so posting about it.

This is a fresh install using the OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus.img.xz image, installed about 4 hours ago and upgraded to OMV 4.1.9. All other packages are current as of a couple of hours ago except hostapd which I'm not using and can't see how it'd impact. Let me know if anyone needs more detail.

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't see this problem on my two running arm boards. What is the output of awk '$5 == "/" { print $10 }' /proc/self/mountinfo

I'm guessing it will be /dev/root. If it is, post the output of cat /proc/self/mountinfo

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I don't see this problem on my two running arm boards. What is the output of awk '$5 == "/" { print $10 }' /proc/self/mountinfo

I'm guessing it will be /dev/root. If it is, post the output of cat /proc/self/mountinfo

It is indeed /dev/root. Here's the output of /proc/self/mountinfo:

Note that I had shut it down overnight (dnsmasq is installed and duplicate DHCP servers are bad, mmkay), so that is about 3 minutes after boot. I did confirm that I'm still getting the error after the bootup.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess I will have to use a workaround for systems that have /dev/root in /proc/self/mounts. What is the output of: readlink /dev/root

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess I can't go with the easy solution. How about cat /proc/cmdline

• I guess I can't go with the easy solution. How about cat /proc/cmdline

Yep, that's got it:

Code
    wolfstar@rcubed:/proc/self$ cat /proc/cmdline
    8250.nr_uarts=0 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=1824 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=984 bcm2708_fb.fbdepth=16 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 vc_mem.mem_base=0x3f000000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x3f600000  dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Shit. That is a different format than I was expecting as well. How about: findmnt /

• Offizieller Beitrag

4.0.2 in the repo now. Hopefully it fixes the problem.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!