Help with Easy Backup solution

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am done here. No new plugin will be written and the rsnapshot won't be changed. So, everything should not explode.

Yeah, I'm worn out too. I'll continue with the Rsync workaround, and come up with a better process, in the doc.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There a SyncThing plugin. Can it be used to make backups?

It could, but Syncthing doesn't directly apply to this thread.

SyncThing is geared toward sync'ing multiple devices (pc/phone/tablet) or multiple network locations with specified content. Servers, on the other hand, are designed for centralized storage which makes backing up the entire data store easier. Syncthing could be used to backup specified data, to an external host, but it's not well suited for the backup and restoration of an entire hard drive.

There's, also, design philosophy to consider. As external packages (like Syncthing) change, support for them must be changed as well. This consideration may mean, at some point in the future, support for Syncthing may be dropped in favor of a Docker. Rsync, on the other hand, is an integrated part of any Linux server. A plugin designed with Rsync at it's core would not require revision with every upgrade.

• For beginners? Absolutely.

So then, we only need a button in the web-Interface that gives a drop-down list of the available Backups[1] and that then does a cp -R /path/to/Backup/[selectedBackup] /path/to/Source

Alternatively maybe with the option to not restore 'inPlace' but to a different path to avoid overwriting.
    [1] Rsnapshot creates folders daily.0, daily.1, ... that could be called something more intuitve in the web-interface.

Zitat

Effectively speaking, anything that requires constructing a command line from scratch, where a beginner would have to select a command, switches, set sources and destinations, arguments, etc., is the net equivalent of not having backup at all.

I understand that. But a delayed mirror is not more of a backup for someone who has a raid-mirror already. At least he could then ask for help restoring in case of desaster.

Yeah, I'm worn out too. I'll continue with the Rsync workaround, and come up with a better process, in the doc.

Sorry, I really don't understand why this got so negative&emotional.

Greetings,
    Hendrik

• Offizieller Beitrag

I used the wrong description when I said the Rsync command in the guide is a "delayed write mirror".

Using Rsync; the destination drive doesn't necessarily have the same partition setup, be the same size, or even be the same format as the source drive. A ZFS source could copy to a BTRFS or EXT4 destination, and the destination doesn't have to be local. None of those abilities or attributes are the equivalent of an mdadm RAID1 mirror. An Rsync drive-to-drive copy is not a mirror. Depending on the options used, it's a data replica as of the time of the job and, depending on how it's handled, it's a backup.

Given that RAID1 corrupts, deletes data, etc., on both drives in nearly the same instant, I believe an Rsync'ed drive copy is superior to RAID1. rsnapshot is even better but, given what rsnapshot restoration entails, it's not suited to those who are not comfortable on the Linux command line.

But all of this is mute at this point. Unless you can code your suggestion, nothing is going to happen here.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!