Plex running after install, but not enabled

• OK, so the catalyst for this problem is that I had my plex running in docker, but it pooped the bed, so I am switching to the plugin.

Installation goes fine (I've done it and purged a few times as a result of this same issue), and immediately after it completes, plex is running - I can access it and set it up. However, it's not Enabled, in the gui. (imaged attached).

Now, this isn't a big issue if you just want to run it. But I want to stop it and then restart it. Specifically, I want to stop it, then switch out the database files/folders (because I'm not fixing all those thousands matches again, I tell you ), then restart it.

Flip it on, then off, then on again, you say?

OMV says no. Enabling, and then applying it causing an infinite applying load bar. Breaks it. Reload the page and it's enabled, but then try to disable and apply - same infinite load, and a page refresh or system reboot does nothing (i.e. doesn't stop plex) or breaks the install.

Purge repeat.

So, now I have a fresh install. Haven't touched it - no media folders added on anything. It's just running from install and prompting me to setup. Hoping someone can tell me what's wrong with it - or what I did wrong.

• When making any type of change in the Plex plugin, a few things happen that you may not be aware of.

All the files and directories in the metadata Library location are chowned. This happens even if the current ownership settings are correct. Depending on the size of the Library and other factors, this can take a considerable amount of time. While this is happening, the "Applying" load bar will display. I have personally seen this take more than 20 minutes to complete. So be patient before giving up.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• When making any type of change in the Plex plugin, a few things happen that you may not be aware of.

All the files and directories in the metadata Library location are chowned. This happens even if the current ownership settings are correct. Depending on the size of the Library and other factors, this can take a considerable amount of time. While this is happening, the "Applying" load bar will display. I have personally seen this take more than 20 minutes to complete. So be patient before giving up.

Thanks for your response. OK that makes sense thanks - will apply that when I get to the switching out DB files.
    However, at the moment - it's fresh - have got rid of everything related to the plugin (purge/remove/fstab etc. I've lost the thread now, but one of the gurus mapped out the commands to clear out everything properly.) So as it's fresh, why might I still be getting this not-enabled issue, and inability to disable/enable?

• I don't know why you are seeing that, but it sounds like something got corrupted during an install/remove attempt.

apt-get purge openmediavault-plexmediaserver should be enough to fully remove it.

I suggest running Plex in a docker instead of using the plugin. I moved everything I could away from plugins and to dockers.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I suggest running Plex in a docker instead of using the plugin. I moved everything I could away from plugins and to dockers.

Actually, this all came about because docker just collapsed on me (in the sense that one day, it just wouldn't play anything anymore - wouldn't transcode.) Couldn't solve it, so moving to the plugin.

...seems like OMV doesn't like me.

• Actually, this all came about because docker just collapsed on me (in the sense that one day, it just wouldn't play anything anymore - wouldn't transcode.) Couldn't solve it, so moving to the plugin.
    ...seems like OMV doesn't like me.

This sounds like you either had your Docker files on a non-system drive mounted as "noexec" or your permissions weren't allowing access to the files for transcoding. The same thing happened to me when I attempted to have my Docker containers reside in a shared folder. That drive was mounted as "noexec," and even modifying fstab would not work for more than a day because OMV reverts any changes to fstab by default.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!