What exactly does OMV do for Raid?

• So I'm in the process of setting up OMV, just got done syncing 4x 10TB drives in a Raid 6(which took like 25 hours lol)...I thought OMV natively used ZFS Raid-Z or something similar, but I saw a ZFS plugin. Could someone explain to me exactly what OMV is natively implementing as it's Raid? How does it work? Is it comparable to ZFS? Does it protect against bit-rot/Data corruption? If there is documentation somewhere outlining all this, I must have missed it....but feel free to make me feel like an idiot and point me in the right direction :thumbup: Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could someone explain to me exactly what OMV is natively implementing as it's Raid?

If you use the "Raid Management" tab, it uses mdadm raid. If you use the zfs plugin, then you can use zfs for your raid array. You can also create a btrfs array from the command line and mount it in the filesystems tab (no way to create the array from the web interface). Many people also pool their drives with the unionfilesystems plugin (mergerfs) and then use snapraid for redundancy/bit-rot/data corruption (not real time though which is good enough for most home users).

How does it work?

Google will have some good answer for that when searching for mdadm.

Is it comparable to ZFS?

Sure, it creates an array of disks for redundancy.

Does it protect against bit-rot/Data corruption?

Not at the array level. Since you have to use a filesystem on top of that array, you could choose a filesystem that does protect you like btrfs.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!