Problem with simple file sharing

• Thanks for the tutorials! I followed your "Simple Network File Sharing and problems solved" tutorial, but unfortunately can't get it to work on MacOS.
    Followed your tutorial exactly, but instead I named my folder "tuto".
    At 6:00 you open the shared folder as guest, but when I do the same on my MacBook I get the following error:

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “tuto” can’t be found.

Then I opened a Windows 7 VM in VirtualBox with bridged network adapter, to try and see if it's a MacOS problem.
    But I get a similar error:

Windows cannot access \\OPENMEDIAVAULT\tuto

You do not have permission to access \\OPENMEDIAVAULT\tuto.

The solution from the tutorial video isn't applicable, since I already allowed read/write/execute when creating the shared folder.

Do you have any idea where it could have gone wrong?
    It's a fresh install of OMV 4.1.3-1 on HP MicroServer N40L.
    I immediately started with the tutorial after the installation.

• Did you read/write/execute in both smb and the file shares. Did you allow guests in SMB?

I would guess it is something simple you are missing. There are a lot of little details and one false move and you are stuck!

• Thanks for replying. I'm quite sure I did exactly as you did in the video...

To be sure, I set read/write/execute again on the file share via Shared Folders -> click folder -> ACL. There I also clicked "Apply permissions to files and subfolders" and under "User/Group permissions" I enabled "Read/Write" for the group "users" and my test user "user1".

You mention read/write/execute in SMB, where can I enable that?

Yes, guest access is enabled in SMB.

So far it's still not working.

• Decided to try out if I could get it working with Docker. Finally got it up and running this way. Now that it's working, I'm not going to try the built in SMB service any more. I guess my initial problem was indeed related to permissions.

So case closed, hopefully it keeps working.

Thanks for the reply!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!