Difference between "Storage > SMART > General Settings" and "Sheduled tasks"

• Currently I am setting up SMART tests. SMTP is already set up.

Now I don't know what the difference is between "Storage > SMART > General Settings" and "Sheduled tasks".
    In Sheduled tasks I've put in
    - 1 short test per HDD at 3 AM every day
    and
    1 long test per HDD at 4 PM every month.

Is it important now to set up the "General settings" options too?

• Offizieller Beitrag

General Settings is more about logging intervals. I tend to go with much longer than standard intervals. SMART attribute updates are not critical - a longer update interval won't hurt anything.
    Similarly, unless the environment where they're installed is highly variable, temperature wise, setting alerts based on hard drive temperature (in home systems) seems a bit excessive as well. If you're not sure what to do here, the defaults work fine.

Scheduled Tests is another one that I think tends to be over used. I set up a short test, once a week, during the early morning hours. If I ran a long test on a good drive (I don't), it would be no more than once a month. In the instances where I've used a long test, I suspected the drive as having issues.

If you're interested in the differences between the two tests, short and long, this link might be of interest.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!