My first "real" ;) NAS

• Hi.
    First of all, I wanted to say huge THANK YOU for everyone sharing precious knowledge about OMV (and partially Linux).

Thanks to that, I was able to setup my own custom-build NAS on OMV with these components (listed below).
    Everything is packed up in ITX case Cooler Master Elite 110: http://www.coolermaster.com/ca…tx-elite-series/elite110/ (maybe someone will find it helpful).

Previously, I was using ZyXEL NSA325v2, but due to its age and serious limitations, I wanted to have something more powerful and flexible (in terms of tweaking and adjusting).

Also I want to mention, that I'm still relatively new in a world of Linux, still have to learn much, but afterall, it gives me a great fun to play with.
    So... thanks again! :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Welcome raven66.

I see you have two identical data drives, but no RAID configured, yet.
    In case you are considering to build a RAID please check first, if you really want RAID. There are many threads in the forums related to this.

It seems in most cases the preferred solution is to have one main data drive and then use rsync or rsnapshot to make bakups of the first drive on the second drive.

• Hi macom.
    Actually, they are different. Both are 3TB in size, but one is brand new IronWolf, which I bought specifically for NAS, and the second one is old Barracuda (desktop drive), which is some yrs old, but it was laying in the drawer unused.

And I'm not planning to connect them in RAID, because I use IronWolf for crucial documents, works and very important stuff, and the Barracuda is only used for movies and TV shows.

The backup is already scheduled, I'm "croning" it to antoher desktop PC with Windows, which is holding another 2TB WD Purple.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!