New SSD

• OMV 4.x
    • Sorry. I just remove and clone my SD-card to backup my OMV system drive.

How you should do it best I don't know. But you need to find out really fast before your system drive crash... Sorry, now I jinxed you...

If you pretend that your system drive crashed, you have no access to any OMV plugins at all.

I think OMV has support for Clonezilla, and it can also be used on a bootable USB drive. The backup image can be stored for instance on the USB drive, if it is big enough. Or on a NAS in the network.

Check out Clonezilla! And backup your system drive ASAP. ;D

clonezilla.org/

If your SSD is smaller than the current system drive you may have problems. Clonezilla can only restore to a larger or equal size target. You may have to resize your partition.
      OMV 4, 5 x ODROID HC2, 2 x 12TB, 2 x 8 TB, 1 x 500 GB SSD, GbE, WiFi mesh

The post was edited 5 times, last by Adoby ().

• MvL wrote:

you mean use the backup plugin Openmediavault provide?
      That could work but is difficult to explain how to do it. Clonezilla is better.
      omv 4.1.13 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Adoby wrote:

If your SSD is smaller than the current system drive you may have problems. Clonezilla can only restore to a larger or equal size target.
      Clonezilla can do if your actually used data is smaller than the size of the new drive and if you use the -icds switch.

Worked for me several times.

Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x
      Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • macom wrote:

Adoby wrote:

If your SSD is smaller than the current system drive you may have problems. Clonezilla can only restore to a larger or equal size target.
      Clonezilla can do if your actually used data is smaller than the size of the new drive and if you use the -icds switch.
      Worked for me several times.

Good to know!
      OMV 4, 5 x ODROID HC2, 2 x 12TB, 2 x 8 TB, 1 x 500 GB SSD, GbE, WiFi mesh