CUPS/Google

• Lo all,

Mostly "because it was there", I decided to play with CUPS.

I've got a Brother DCP-770CW printer (about 4-5 years old), connected to my LAN via CAT5 - and my Windows PCs print directly to it. I'd also seen the Google Cloud Print (Beta) stuff (http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/) and spied a set of CUPS wrappers for my printer.

1) Login to OMV
    2) Choose "Plugins"
    3) Find and highlight "OpenMediaVault CUPS"
    4) Click install
    5) Wait :)

That got CUPs installed, but printer drivers were still missing. The Brother website was as useful as a chocolate fireguard, as they only supply x86 drivers, and my N40L is x64....

So I had to :

6) apt-get install csh
    7) Manually find & install (via dpkg) brother-lpr-drivers-common
    8) Manually find & install (via dpkg) brother-cups-wrapper-common
    9) Manually find & install (via dpkg) brother-lpr-drivers-extra
    10) Manually find & install (via dpkg) brother-cups-wrapper-extra

So that's CUPs with the relevant drivers, but still no installed printer...

11) Then navigate to http://openmediavault:631/admin (login/password is the OMV admin one btw - that slipped me by!)
    12) Click "Find New Printers"

For some reason mine was shown twice, so I just used the first one....

NOW you have a printer - and can choose to share it via Samba (I chose not to share mine as it's already mapped manually)
    You may also need to add the printer to the OMV CUPs plugin page once it's in CUPs

Now for Google Cloud Print....

13) Visit http://dev.shyd.de/2012/01/rem…ebian-google-cloud-print/
    14) Follow instructions 1 - 3, i.e. :

apt-get install python-pip python-cups
    pip install daemon
    pip install cloudprint

15) Follow the instructions to cut/paste the /etc/init.d/cloudprint file (and edit "myuser" to be "lp"
    16) You'll also need to mkdir /var/spool/lpd and chown/chgrp the dir to be owned by "lp")

17) Follow the instructions to add the service and start it, and you'll probably get told you need to add python-daemon with a "-d" to get the daemon to work. Except it's already installed?

18) Run

pip install python-daemon --upgrade
    apt-get install python-daemon --upgrade

19) You'll also need to get another package installed, to fix an error. I can't find it on it's own but running :

pip install distribute

...fixed the problem.

20) Now run /etc/init.d/cloudprint start

and you should be asked for your Google username/password....I can strongly recommend setting up 2 factor auth and application passwords, so you can disable the Cloudprint without changing all your Google passwords. But that's just me :0

21) Then go back to the Google Cloud print page (https://www.google.com/cloudprint?hl=en-GB#jobs) and you should see your printer :)

I've since installed a Google Android cloudprint app and can print to the house whilst on the move :)

• Hey, thanks for this guide. It helped me a lot but, as I could expect, something's gone wrong: when I start the service (step 20) I get this prompt:

Python
    Starting Google Cloud Print: Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/local/bin/cloudprint", line 5, in <module>
        from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
    ImportError: No module named pkg_resources

No asking for Google Account or nothing like this...

Any idea?

DISCLAIMER: :!: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm sorry if I don't explain as good as you would want. :!:

My NAS:
    Always the latest OMV Erasmus running on an AMD Sempron 3850 @1.3GHz with 4.9.0 Backports Kernel
    with 120GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO for OpenMediaVault & 2x500GB Primary Data HDD + 1TB Secondary HDD for Backup & 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD for offline backup

Plugin list:
    Flash Memory, Locate, OMV-Extras.org, RSnapshot, Sensors, Syncthing, SMB/CIFS, SSH, USB Backup
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat

The Schrödinger's code is that one which is going to work and it's full of bugs at the same time; until you test it, you won't be able to determine it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!