How big is the dev team?

• Hey folks, I've been reading up on OMV and it seems FreeNAS has taken it seriously in that they do a comparison of themselves vs OMV.

One item in their comparison is that they claim OMV is a single developer.

I have to admit that is an issue for me in terms of using it.

Is it true?

• Offizieller Beitrag

One item in their comparison is that they claim OMV is a single developer.

I have to admit that is an issue for me in terms of using it.

If it was true, why would that make a difference to you? I mean Microsoft has tons of programmers, yet they're routinely shown up by small firms, in terms of innovation. Their solution to that problem, innovation, is to buy the small firm which gets immediately folded into the larger firm and rapidly becomes mediocre. Bigger is not always better, and anything done by committee or bureaucracy will lack certainty and focus.

FreeNAS, unfortunately, is based on BSD. That limitation, in itself, should be enough to prevent anyone from using it, who is looking for extra value through server add-ons. As one example, BSD itself limits the use of virtualization techniques and app's. For Linux, and OMV, there are 110,000 Dockers available. With Linux and Dockers, there's something for everyone. BSD? BSD's equivalent to Dockers are "Jails" and that tech is nowhere near as developed as Docker.

As I understand it, the core product is run by Volker Theile (who, BTW, used to develop FreeNAS back in the day). Was that mentioned? :)

This is the projects roster.

• Yes I am not a big fan of the fast that FreeNAS is BSD based - that to me is a major limitation and a key reason why I'm looking around elsewhere.

I do this stuff in my day job which involves delivering solutions to customers, and working closely with a software development team providing them IT infrastructure. It is because I am in the industry that I am leery of any product from a single developer.

But that sure is an interesting post from 2009! I do actually remember someone telling me about how FreeNAS imploded and iXsystems took it under their wing. We actually use iX at work and in general I'm happy with them. There are some big issues though like the fact that FreeNAS GUI is only usable by a shared root user. That's a major problem for ISO 27001 certification and iX has finally agreed to fix it. They also have the problem that their console is always logged in.

A key for me is I want ZFS or BTRFS. Ideally ZFS though because I like RAID6 and from what I've been reading the RAID6 implementation in BTRFS is still buggy and not yet enterprise grade.

Another key thing I like about OMV is that it seems to be based on a stock Linux distro, unlike for example Rockstor which rolls their own.

• Offizieller Beitrag

the fact that FreeNAS GUI is only usable by a shared root user.

Same with OMV.

Is it true?

In reality, OMV is developed by a single user. The contributors are just submitting small patches. On the other hand, Volker made OMV extendable using plugins. There are lots of plugins developed by many people (although it is a fairly small number right now).

not yet enterprise grade

OMV isn't targeted at enterprise either. I don't think FreeNAS was either until IX took over.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

BTW: check your PM's - I wrote a short blurb on installing ZFS. (It got caught in the moderators queue.) While I think you'll do fine with the plugin install, and most default settings should work fine; the more important part of the post is setting a few pool parameters at the start, to insure that the ZFS pool handles Linux permissions correctly.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

I was going to mention iXsystems as yet another serious detractor, from a development prospective. The development of FreeNAS is directly impacted by trying to support iXsystem's commercial products. (And note that the cost of having so many paid programmers on staff, in California, is not small.) FreeNAS development is, without doubt, hampered or at least skewed by the commercial imperative.

Free projects are about:
    1. First and foremost - "function" and
    2. The "happiness of the end user", all of which leads to
    3. "Donations" that keep the project going.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

As far an continuing development goes, it appears that OMV will be supporting BTRFS, in the GUI, in the next version and, as I understand it, ZFS will be supported as well. Perhaps, by that time, BTRFS will be ready for prime time. In the interim and beyond, as you know, there's nothing wrong with ZFS.

Since you're supporting business customers, there's a ZFS attribute (snapshots) that I consider to be indispensible to businesses, for delete protection (I'm thinking of disgruntaled employees). Take a look at this guide for zfs-auto-snapshot.
    Thinking about it, after using it as a feature talking point with a customer, restoring individual (crucial files) might make up a bit of additional business for you.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!